Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

i'm planning on making a documentary

Discussion in 'General Board' started by WigWam, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WigWam

WigWam Well-Known Member

well long story short over the last couple of months I have been planning a documentary about legalising marijuna (weed) and interviewing people from all sides of the story (government, organisations, addicts, casual users etc).

just wondering you guys think this type of documentary could do well if it was broadcast and made from an independent / non bias viewpoint.

is this the type of thing you would watch if it was free. It has been in the news allot recently?

Cheers

WigWam

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. boxerdog

boxerdog Well-Known Member

i personaly wouldnt watch it, because i think all drugies are scum and need putting down, so i would have no interest in it :(

please dont be offended its just my opinion.
    good luck with it though ;)

4. WigWam

WigWam Well-Known Member

cheers :)

It wont just be druggies it will be for medical use aswell.

5. boxerdog

boxerdog Well-Known Member

yes for medical use would be interesting

6. JDubya

JDubya Active Member

If you wouldn't watch a documentary about the subject of marijuana legalization because "all drugies are scum and need putting down" then you are precisely the type of person who should watch such a documentary.

The issue is the legalization of marijuana - which is not the same as the legalization/criminalisation of heroine, alcohol, caffeine, ecstasy, paracetomol, tesco value bitter, licking hallucinogenic frogs, cheese, monster munch - and so the issue should be looked at fairly without the common misconception some people have in their heads of linking marijuana users to images of a crazy eyed heroine addict bombing down the street with a stolen VCR under their arm.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...uit-over-sacking-of-Professor-David-Nutt.html

I think there is something else you should look at in your documentary also:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62U0IC20100331

How does this happen with the military presence/control over there? Clearly the "war" in Afghanistan and Iraq has nothing to do with oil - it's all about the weed! You don't see much of Gordon Brown at the moment - because he's too busy setting up cannabis deals in the Caribbean - obviously! You watch, in a few years Afghanistan's home grown will be taxed at 99.5% profit available in packs of 5 at Tesco. I suspect at this very moment Michael Moore and Panorama are already looking into this?? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. WigWam

WigWam Well-Known Member

great post :) rep given :)

I will be doing it in a simular style to the inconvenient truth but more documentary headed :)

8. Retired_member41

Retired_member41 Retired Member

There have been scores of these documentaries, all very boring.

There may well be medical sprays, but as for legalisation, its never gonna happen.

Why not make a documentary about racism.

And why its part of the culture of the UK, who are actually the people calling others racist, and how do they act in their day to day life etc

The majority are not actually racist, yet the views most hold, the loonies say your racist.

Many face racist guilt when they are not actually racist.

I think its time that we stopped feeling guilty for having an opinion on certain matters, and lets look back to positive discrimination in the workplace, social housing and how these things have back fired and caused big problems for the majority.

Its too bigger subject to discuss on here, but one that would make a cracking documentary if done properly and one that would make every news paper and news bulletin.

And no, I do not consider myself a racist.

Never expected that post did you lol

9. WigWam

WigWam Well-Known Member

Good post Caz,

I Was thinking of such a documentary a few months ago (when islam4uk was still around) but thought it may be a bit too controversial, I do believe there was one a few months ago about the english defence league or something along those lines :p

10. Retired_member41

Retired_member41 Retired Member

Forget all that, a documentary about the majority, not these minority groups, no matter how popular.

Look at where people live, how they live, who they live with, where they shop, their fears, their expectations, how things have changed etc

Look at circumstances when people may be called racist and break it down and validate it.

For example. If a used car salesman decides they do not want to speak to any asian customers and they avoid them, are they a racist?

Is an Asian father racist for banning their daughter from seeing a white or black uk guy?

It seems the word tradition is used all the time in certain communities, but when other communities request tradition, they are marked as racists.

Again there are tons of arguments, but a really good well researched documentary would make a lot of people feel more at home in their own country.

Just writing this, I feel I have to explain I am not a racist, wondering if there are loonies out there, thinking, ooh I think shes racist lol

Madness.

11. mat

mat Well-Known Member

I have seen the effects of weed on some of my closest childhood friends. Its really sad to see them change over the space of a year or two because of it. Intelligent, athletic popular lads now reduced to sitting in curtain drawn rooms playing xbox and smoking weed at the same rate as "having a fag" No jobs, no real friends, nothing...

I agree the effects are not much different to becoming an alcoholic and there is allways the question, how come drink is legal but weed isnt? Is that really a basis to legalise weed though?

I think weed is alot harder to have in moderation and alot easier to become addicted to, the effects of alcohol last for 8 odd hours where as weed you have to keep on puffing away at to remain "stoned"

The problem my friends had was that they were now having to smoke it just to feel normal, seing one of your mates wake up and have a bong before even getting out of bed and brushing his teeth is where you know its got out of control. Ofcourse it then leads on to needing harder stuff to feel any highs but thats another story!

12. WigWam

WigWam Well-Known Member

thanks mat,

These are just some of the reasons I think it would be so interesting to make.

and some say that alcohol and smoking is far more dangerous than weed, (based on deaths / consumption)

WigWam

13. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

I know a lot of people that smoke weed and quite a few alcoholics. The weed smokers are mainly professionals, have good careers, go to work every day and have friends. As weed isn't physically addictive they smoke it in moderation because they choose to. The only immediate damage they're doing to themselves is the equivalent of smoking.

The alcoholics are all on the dole and sit at home 24/7 drinking cheap cider, some of them will probably be dead within a year. Moderation does not apply to an alcoholic, they're physically addicted to something that's probably going to kill them, much like crack or heroin!

Having witnessed a good friend who was an alcoholic for 10 years (messed up beyond belief) get off alcohol with the help of weed, I've seen the extreme individual effects of the two drugs on one person and they're not in the same league at all.

Grant

14. retired_member32

retired_member32 Retired Member

i'm with Mat on this one,i have seen many friends who have fell by the wayside due to weed,the "lights are on but nobody is home syndrome" ,locked up in there own world and never venture far ,only to buy more drugs....

Very good thread and nice to actually have an open debate about taboo subjects...

I would watch a documentary about how the unemployed get away with working and still receiving benefit...i was down the jobcentre the other day with the missus and we was doing research into starting a new venture about getting people into work and off benefits and was speaking to the head of our local jobcentre,we was shocked by how powerless they are....(obviously cannot go into too much detail due to confidence)

I was waiting for the head to arrive and someone came in work clothes ,pretty obvious considering the work van outside with the logo blazed across the side of it....

I listened in on the conversation....the staff asked "have you been working in the last two weeks" ,the guy said "no" then the staff said "could you tell me "why do you have paint on your clothes", because "i am painting my living room"....:evil:

Now i have reported my mother-in-law for benefit fraud before without nothing coming of this...even though i could prove she was claiming benefits whilst working (her photo was in the local rag selling paintings for £x,xxx) and it was never looked into..

What gets on my nerves is....

Our local bus service as been removed due to funding cutbacks,and now all the old folks will be housebound and have no social interaction,whilst the majority of my street works whilst claiming benefits...is this justice ?

15. alex

alex Active Member

I think this will be very interesting if it covers all angles. Two of my best friends (one is 21 the other 32) smoke or have smoked weed. One owns a successful business and the other is doing very well at Uni. That said I also know, by acquaintance, someone who has been truly screwed up by it.

The 32 year old has smoked it all adult life (and more) and claims he wasn’t addicted. However, when I kept asking him to stop he didn’t and made all sorts of excuses. In January he realised he had spent over £20k on it in 3 years and just stopped - hasn’t had any since and is annoyed that all his friends do is smoke it and he always comments how it rules their lives. It is like he has grown up and they haven’t. The reason I bring this up is because of the addictive nature of it. I’ve heard some get addicted easily and others it has no effect whatsoever. He, although he doesn’t admit it, probably couldn’t quit because of the addiction, but what surprises me is that he just stopped. When I asked him why he smoked it in the first place he said it was because of social pressure and belonging.

My other friend is the most down to earth person in the world, kind and truly a good friend. He has travelled the world and in many countries it is legal. He is very cultural and fully engages himself into the culture of the country he visits. He is not a ‘druggy’, or at least by the social meaning of it here in the UK. He is not violent or anything like that. He is the most hard working and caring person I know and there is no pressure to do it or not to do it when I’m with him. He offered it to me once, I said no thanks and I didn’t feel pressured or anything like that. The fact id he does it because he has experienced it in other cultures and it relaxes him and it is his choice.

From the above I see no reason why it should be disallowed, however there are certainly arguments to the contrary. The 32 year old’s friends are addicted and it is noticeable. The acquaintance I mentioned is having major problems and I know many at school who seriously dented their chance achieving their potential in life because they did nothing at school because of drugs.

I will certainly be interested to see what you find.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.