Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

iPhone 5 announcement due today

Discussion in 'General Board' started by aZooZa, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

Why not just go for this handy iphone 4S upgrade kit, haha.

All jokes aside, I think people are rather underwhelmed by the latest offering. Even incremental improvements are heralded as if it's the best thing ever, and I'm not sure that as many people buy into it now. That said, they'll no doubt still shift many millions of units.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

We'll probably see some iPhone 4 owners changing their minds once the 4S has been released. The attractions of a faster processor and/or better battery life is going to appeal to some people (if I was out and about a lot, without time for a recharge, I'd pick one up). I doubt I'd use the voice control assistant but maybe it will turn out to be something that is better than it sounds at the moment! I'm not bothered about a jump from 5Mp > 8Mp for the camera because I rarely use the camera at the moment.

I wonder if Apple feel they need to get two bites of the cherry with all of the investment in equipment they might have made (I've read that they have paid for equipment in factories that manufacture for them - special glass cutting machines for example). Porsche do something similar with their Turbo models, by releasing the 911 Turbo or Cayenne Turbo in the existing body shape and then releasing a Turbo S in the existing body shape later on, before releasing the next body shape. Some people will upgrade from the Turbo to the Turbo S (same body shape) rather than holding off for the new body shape coming with the next Turbo. If both Apple and Porsche didn't do this, they wouldn't squeeze as much as they could out of their customers and make the best return on their design and manufacturing investments. :)

The original 2G iPhone 1 was a handset which I felt should never have been released as it was, despite the fact that I bought one! :) At that time 3G was common and so was cut, copy and paste (all originally missing from the original iPhone). Apple got away with this, though, because at the time the iPhone was quite revolutionary compared to other pre-existing smart phones.

4. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

Yeah, the processor does seem to be a significant improvement and I agree that they had an adventage from the get go because when the iPhone emerged it really was ahead of the competition in many respects. It's hard to fault their business model really since it's clearly paid off for them in a big way.

I suppose the mobile phone market is pretty open compared to say operating systems though, so there's a real need to keep a buzz going around the products so that people don't even consider anything else. All of their patent wars of late are likely a way to try to handicap competition. I wonder how that will pan out. Right now I have an HTC Touch Pro II. It does the job but processor is pretty slow. I'll be looking for a repacement towards the end of the end though, not sure what to go for yet!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  5. mat

mat Well-Known Member

Personally I would rather buy a later model second hand iphone now that this one has been released :p

6. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Could that be anything to do with you operating the domain name and site that you've provided the link for?

7. mat

mat Well-Known Member

yes

Thus the ":p" :)

8. SF

SF Well-Known Member

Anyone got an iPhone 4s?

Try asking siri "tell me a joke" :D

9. Rich United Kingdom

Rich Active Member

Try asking it 'are you Stephen Hawking'

10. GreyWing

GreyWing Well-Known Member

I've just had an upgrade and opted for the Galaxy SII, but sent it back. I'm not an apple nut but after having the iphone for the last 2 years I must admit I do like it. Although I will jailbreak it when I get the first opportunity.

11. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

Try asking it how your battery is doing ;)

12. Retired_member41

Retired_member41 Retired Member

Haha they promised everything concerning the battery and have delivered nothing.

13. SF

SF Well-Known Member

LOL Dale, atleast you can make calls, i see you blackberrys staying quite ;)

14. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

Yeah LOL! Fortunately I'm out of the UK and cannot make my usual impulse upgrade purchase with Orange for a 4S, and I can't connect with iTunes because my iMac is in the UK, so no iOS 5 either. I'm getting teed off with the iPhone/iPad reliance on iTunes, and the lack of Flash. I might go the Android route next TBH. In the meantime, my iPhone 4 will do for a long while yet I think. No Blackberry for me - ever :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.