Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Is .info really that bad?

Discussion in 'Domain Research' started by Lucky Luke, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucky Luke United Kingdom

Lucky Luke Active Member

I have a few .info domains that I am going to let drop, but before I do, I was wondering whether they really are that bad.

I know the general view here is that they are sh*te, but does any one have anything good to say about them?

Cheers, Luke

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Takwa United Kingdom

Takwa Well-Known Member

Useless as a domain unless it has massive exact searches and super-high CPC.

If you think you got a good one but it might never sale. then develop it, now thinking about it, I actually got a .info developed many moons ago now it's earning me 20 to 30 a month... pays for it reg fees and a bottle of wine a month :p

4. Lucky Luke United Kingdom

Lucky Luke Active Member

Can't believe I did this, but I just bought another one! For $1.99 mind :) Now I either have to sell it or do something with it before renewal.

LakeDistrictHotels // info

22,200 uk exacts (latest incarnation) @ £1.78 cpc

I'm letting all of the others lapse!

5. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

Mostly I reckon there's no point buying them to sell on, only buy them if you can develop them. They were so cheap to reg they were favoured by spammers and therefore got a bad rep. I think the url looks alright in the SERPS and would click on one - they're cheap and cheerful.

Rgds

6. Blossom

Blossom Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I would click one, as they don't suggest 'shopping' or 'sales' to me - just wikipedia-style info. Suppose it's all in the meta description though..

7. willbon

willbon Active Member

I think they look great alongside the.com and .co.uk. Useful as a resource site and more web real estate; not to mention the preservation of your brand name online.

As an earner? ... Personally if I wanted information and it ranked with my keywords I'd click it on google but if I was presented with anything other than what I wanted to know and a few subtle ads I'd be off.

More brand value than earning potential

8. retired_member33

retired_member33 Retired Member

I used several as PPC landing pages where the better extension was already taken. A good . info including a strong landing page is in my opinion as strong as any other extension when it comes to using it for ppc.

9. Rob_F United Kingdom

Rob_F Well-Known Member

I don't mind them - of the gTLDs, I'd put .info at No. 3 personally, after .com and .org.

I've also sold a fair few, for prices ranging from $30 to $14000.

Good extension for geo sites and information rich sites (as you'd expect). Spain.info is great example of a well developed .info.

- Rob

10. Lucky Luke United Kingdom

Lucky Luke Active Member

Hi Rob,

Where do you sell them or are you approached?

Cheers, Luke

11. Rob_F United Kingdom

Rob_F Well-Known Member

> $800, via Sedo, mostly.
    < $800, mostly on other domain forums, like DNF. I haven't listed any for sale on DNF in over 2 years so not sure how healthy that market is now.

In the case of end user sales, I've not approached anyone, they've always found me.

- Rob

12. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

well 300,000 + people would disagree, and those are just those who 'like' blackfriday.info ;) via facebook widget

theres only a few gtlds that you can show up worlwide
    .info is one of them and has 7 million registrations

personally i would choose com or .co.uk to build a brand on, yes, but when there is no way you can get either .info can work well
    i too have had xx,xxx and x,xxx sales with info
    well developed will do well, but you have to work harder

com is so easy with a great domain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.