Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Is it just me.....?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by binny, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. binny

binny Active Member

....that thinks the shit is about to really hit the fan in the next 2-5 years?

I've always found the second world war difficult to comprehend, that something so devestating happened such a short time ago and that things could kick off in such a way. Now though as we watch the economic disasters unfold and the opportunity for nationalist politics to emerge I begin to genuinely think we're on the brink of something very bad, I see for the first time in my lifetime the circumstances which could lead to a major war in europe. Were we naive to think that after thousands of years of war that we had somehow entered an era of peaceful existence between the developed nations?

I really need some Trevor MacDonald "and finally...." shit to take my mind off this :D

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. namestrands

namestrands Active Member

They say that any movement is effective no longer than 200 years, and we are well past that with democracy.. for things to get better they need to change significantly.

We have become more civilised and with the advent of the Internet and Such proliferation of media, war becomes less and less likely.

I do foresee the rise of North Korea and the Middle East, however I also see it being nipped in the bud pretty quickly, but at a price none of us will ever likely want to pay.

4. MikeJDS

MikeJDS Active Member

5. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

Well, it's not just you ... but let's hope nothing really bad happens. However, when economies slump and people get desperate it always makes conflict more likely.

Rgds

6. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

I don't think it's possible to have another major war of that sort, because all sides have nuclear weapons so that's an automatic no-no. I think economically, however, things will get worse before they get better - and for certain countries, a LOT worse. Now is the time to be planning if you (personally) want to weather the storm.

7. BREWSTERS United Kingdom

BREWSTERS Well-Known Member

I used to have similar thoughts when I was early teens...when I wasn't thinking of girls.

Back then though the media was pushing the cold war - at the moment it's the Middle East.

Ultimately, it's not worth worrying about. If no-one watched the news, how much happier and secure would they feel?

Edit: From a financial aspect, how the hell have we all allowed ourselves to be run by people who have ultimately run up unmanageable amounts of debt? €1.5trillion debt for Italy??? How? Who the fuck is lending them anything; mafia loansharks?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  8. binny

binny Active Member

Times have changed for who though?

If you live in middle Russia, Romania, Georgia, Greece and you have little then your little is halved whilst right-wing politicians are telling you that they can give you what you deserve and they know who to blame, is the internet going to stop you taking arms?

From these situations the catalysts of major wars arise. Take the stand-off at Pristina Airport and replay it in a world with a massive economic crisis and hardline politicians.

In times of peace and prosperity the world is run by leaders who are as eager to proect their own dividends as they are to better their countries, they want the status-quo and more of it but in times of extreme hardship the leaders will probably have come from nothing. Several European countries have had bouyant extremist political parties even during the 'good times' of the last 30 years.

9. binny

binny Active Member

The superpower work-around for this is just to fight wars in someone else's country. Things are unlikely to start with a face-off between China and the US.

10. cc976a United Kingdom

cc976a Well-Known Member

A thirst for power, one of mother natures greatest survival gifts to mankind, will probably be the cause one day for it's demise

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  11. WaftyCrank United Kingdom

WaftyCrank Active Member

A friend of mine told me that in order to rid the world of it's differences we need a common enemy. And with that in mind they think that within the next 20 years the US will stage an "alien invasion" of our planet in order to unite us.

Crazy?

12. WaftyCrank United Kingdom

WaftyCrank Active Member

A friend of mine told me that in order to rid the world of it's differences we need a common enemy. And with that in mind they think that within the next 20 years the US will stage an "alien invasion" of our planet in order to unite us.

Crazy?

13. namestrands

namestrands Active Member

Where I live its War Games most weeks. So I am becoming immune to the sound of rockets, jets and earth shuddering explosions.

14. anthony United Kingdom

anthony Well-Known Member

Every time even the smallest news item comes about Larry, my stats for larrythecat.co.uk go crazy. It's long overdue some updates I think. Must put it on my 'to do' list!

15. Aegean Greece

Aegean Active Member

Good point, I honestly think if the world leaders only had more pussy [cats] then things would be a lot more laid back.

I also agree with everything Edwin said in his earlier post.

16. BREWSTERS United Kingdom

BREWSTERS Well-Known Member

Berlusconi - nuff said!

17. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

No, he's just re-read "Watchmen" one too many times...

18. WaftyCrank United Kingdom

WaftyCrank Active Member

Lol is that the book to the comic book movie? If not then I have no idea what that book is. However he is a she and loves a good conspiracy theory :p

19. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Yes, the conspiracy in the comic was very much like what your friends were suggesting i.e. "alien invasion" (note the quotes) rather than the weak one in the film.

20. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

I think in the near term the biggest danger is civil unrest.
    I don't know about anyone else but I think more and more people are seeing themselves as victims for a seemingly endless number reasons. We all know there is hardship and most of us know of some personal hardship, but it seems that many have become so dependant that they would rather complain than get on with it.
    Moaning about ones circumstances instead of changing them is becoming an encouraged way of life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.