Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

is this our very own Grandin?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by disruptive, Nov 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. disruptive

disruptive Well-Known Member

Another point

If people are so eager to watch the BOE rate change it shows how precarious those investments are!

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. disruptive

4. grandin United Kingdom

grandin Well-Known Member

All very intersting comments

All the comments are very interesting and if we all had a crystal ball then we would all have the answers.

Interest rates and high or low they go will have a positive or negative effect.

We seem to be in agreement that perception alone can change a market....if people start saying 'sh*t the market is going down...get out' then yep that alone can create a massive crash

Tighten a screw slowly and then watch people slowly get turned off from property....but just enough

A static market is what I want but pound cost averaging can also work wonders in any market rising or falling

Lee

5. disruptive

I think people will turn away from property and the change will happen rather quickly. Once people realise they have bought something at above what people are willing to pay, the whole 'property developer' mentality will collapse. People have been kidding themselves that they are smart movers when all they have been doing is selling in a rising market. This will take some of the gusto out of property and people will lose the excitement and realise exactly what it is....a roof over their head.

Remember the sunday supplements from 2000/2001 in the times etc. They had large pull out sections - ALL about technology. Now those sections are replaced with sections all about property. When the newspapers find the next band wagon they will ditch property and revert to something more exciting and that will happen when they discover their readers lose interest. I expect a resurgance of interest in technology.

6. grandin United Kingdom

ditching

Dis you talk as if everyone is a property developer....given that landlords own multiple properties and have bought throughout the last 7 or more years I don't get your point as the number of people who own more than one property is rather small and insignificant

Affordability will restrict what people can borrow, we need to move interest rates to a level that will create a static market, but buyers are prepared to spend more on property than other goods so you have to ask the average buyer....how much of your monthly income are you prepared to spend on your home mortgage?....they seem to be happy to spend more as they keep buying and moving up the property ladder.

Lee

7. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

And it needs to, as a country we're lagging far behind. Being the slaves to europe instead of the other way round. That's the one thing missing in this country compared to the last couple of centuries, innovation and having an economist running the country aint going to do any of us any favours.

Ditch Labour, ditch Brown.

8. grandin United Kingdom

reduced house pirces

You want reduced house prices to make you feel better?....it is a progressive environment that has dictated this and the consumer who buys into a progressive market....landlords may count for say 15% of house growth who is responsbile for the other 85%?

Domaining has given a return far greater per a pound than property but you lag behind landlords for two reasons....not everyone wants a domain name AND more importantly you can't gear up on a domain name

If you could borrow 10 million to buy domain names to sell at the current profits then you would be excited...

Lee

9. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

Feel better? no I want independence and to be able to live, ask anybody, literally anybody, how do you find living in this country and they will say "expensive" no one, well not many, can afford to live here, their own 'kin citizens can't afford to live here.

I'll tell you something that you miss, mortgages, how much do you need to borrow to buy an house, then tell me how much an house is worth, so if the wages aint gone up, how plastic exactly are the house prices that you have to borrow six times your wages and gawd knows how many years to afford one?

Go back not so long ago and it was three times your wages over 25 years, do you see a pattern yet? and those toffs at the BOE have further increased rates to stop anybody normal getting a decent pay rise so they themselves can afford to live - well try to, wages are still way off what's required to live an active healthy lifestyle.

I aint buying into this stupidity where you stay in Britain and get ripped off, I'm leaving, keep your housing market, you can have it, I aint aint paying the price of social exclusion because of inflated house prices that don't reflect the wages or current worth and if asia comes on anymore, half the students will be going there as well, so your housing market is in even more of a mess and the self employed clearing off at a rate unknown at any time in our history other than at times of invading armies and when we were at war.

I don't know what the hell is going on but if you need to borrow loads more money for longer to buy something that's in short supply and has far exceeded most people's wages, with bills and cost of living sky rocketing, how on earth can that fat scotch c*** sit there and dream of taking over the country? the 'kin celts are killing the union with their stupid mundane votes and political power, get rid, let's be English! I've had enough!

They want an end to the union, bloody give it to them and get them out of our hair voting wise and then the English can actually have in power who they want there and it aint this ****** brown and labour. Working class my arse.

Angry? nah because I aint excusing the fact I can't afford £120 match days out at football anymore or justifying spending £35 for train travel and 10% of you wage on council tax and loads more on fuel bills, 'ck 'em I'm off. Not angry, just looking forward to a brighter future without British government weighing me down.

Enough said!

10. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

I was at the barbers yesterday and she (yes I know, she) says to me, "what you going that far abroad for" Because I can. She says can you speak the language, can you get a job? I says I'm self employed, I can work anywhere and most people under 26 speak our lingo.

What about crime, is it safe, have you been there? I said nah, not been, don't want anything changing my mind ,as for crime, it'll be safe as houses as the criminals are all flooding Britain next year as the next lot of immigrants. She wants to divorce and come with me, I told her, you don't do a bad cut darling but I'm after another girl, I'll let you know...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

See not angry, just realistic and happy to finally have a way of living my life that doesn't mean getting bogged down in bills, tax, cost of living and an idiotic housing market that's buggering everyone. Move abroad, put your savings in an account, give it five years then buy an house in bulgaria off some savvy Englishman who is struggling to pay bills back at home and wants to sell it cheap. :mrgreen:

*And let's not kid ourselves, we all know the government want us buying properties over in europe, it's all a part of the 'plan'.

11. gimpydog United Kingdom

gimpydog Active Member

That is possible. Look at IREIT...it's funded by venture capital, same as Marchex.

These people are not sentimental about the dot com bubble, they're looking to turn a buck.

I was chatting to a guy who's a business manager at Barclays the other week. I asked whether they would accept domains as collateral or consider funding a large purchase. "Probably not" was the reply.
    The problem is that the banks are still smarting from their losses in 2000. They were late getting into the tech boom & late getting out. It was the VCs who made the big money, they got in early & had an exit strategy.

Be wise. Learn from history. When your bank manager offers to lend you money to buy domains the moment will have passed, the price will be too high and the smart money will already be on it's way elsewhere.

Grandin, you were looking for comparisons between property & domains. There are plenty. Not least, I believe, their cyclical nature, which will continue to produce a stream of winners & losers.

Fools rush in....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.