Domain Manage

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by Retired_member41, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retired_member41

Retired_member41 Retired Member

Around 1 year ago a domain name was dropped. It was parked at 123 with email forwarding.

Is there anyway an email sent to blah@deleteddomainayearago.co.uk would still forward to a gmail address.

Thanks in advance.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. Jamie101 United States

Jamie101 Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but I cancelled a few domains today and it mentioned that if you have any emails associated with this domain it'll be gone. That would make me think that they wouldn't get the email, but I might be wrong!

4. jimm United Kingdom

jimm Active Member

Sure, A few conceivable ways it could happen.
    Not likely but could happen.

5. anthony United Kingdom

anthony Well-Known Member

Anything is possible with 123! :p

6. Retired_member41

Lol

Your both right. It did happen but neither of us could work out how.

It's the same address that years ago a high street bank sent a file with over 50,000 peoples full details who had missed a loan payment to, good job they password protected it as it would have been a real security breach if they hadn't. Shame the next email had the password lol. Banks eh.

7. viceroy United Kingdom

viceroy Active Member

It is possible, esp. with 123... which reminds me, I got a domain recently which was a successful website a few years ago, reconfigured the default info@domain.co.uk email address and started getting a number of personal emails, password resets and everything! Turns out the previous owner had used the email for all their personal stuff, something to think about, eh?!

8. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

if someone reregistered domain at 123 and left nameservers same, then technically yes

like was already said, with 123 anything is possible also , usually in a negative way:)
    check account with 123 they may have put domain back in your account after someone else registered. lol.

9. Retired_member41

This domain was deleted totally. Available in Whois type of deleted. It's still available today. That's why it's confused us so much.

10. anthony United Kingdom

anthony Well-Known Member

One thing that seems possible is if a registrant manual deletes the domain through their Nominet account. If 123, Heart etc don't refresh their systems regularly to pick this up, or they feel compelled to see out their side of the contract, then their systems may not drop such email configs. I for one have had domains at both which, although no longer mine due to transfer, still appear in my account about a year since I sold them. At the least it shows both companies don't address the severing of the 'ownership' in a timely fashion.

On a different tact, you've gotta love the email system though, it's the one weakness which should prevent anyone ever considering the thought of dropping previously used domain names. The simple catch-all on a fresh re-reg is a thiefs' dream sometimes.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  11. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

ok, i'm confused.com :p too

12. stellar73 United Kingdom

stellar73 Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.