Domain Manage

It's like a domain boot sale!

Discussion in 'General Board' started by denchomsky, Feb 28, 2016.

1. denchomsky United Kingdom

denchomsky Well-Known Member

A lot of last minute (renewal) panic selling going on at the moment. Some great bargains to be had, but not that many sales considering, buyers concerned about the cost of keeping a large portfolio????

Must be pretty stressful for large portfolio holders, I just renewed my definite keepers for 2-5 years and will make a decision on the others when the time comes to renew. Glad I cut my portfolio from around 200 to about 50 over the last couple of years.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Some portfolio holders are getting rid of names (we've got rid of some but had been planning to regardless of price rises) and some others aren't. For every portfolio holder we can observe dropping names in bulk I could name others, some far bigger, that aren't and are expanding in .uk. That could be to do with their perception of what makes a quality domain name, their means to fund what they already have or they're continually acquiring new relevant inventory and possibly dropping inventory that they now consider outmoded because times have changed. Simply put, some are better than others in my opinion, and some that consider they have a good perception of what has value just don't. Opinions differ. :)

4. humble pie United Kingdom

humble pie Banned

On this point I have to agree with you David, on the whole, when I see the stuff people are renewing at the moment it beggars belief, these guys must be out of their minds, or on to something real special. I hold my hand up, I've hand reg'd, bought, caught, dropped some absolute shite. I've easily wasted 25k/30k on dross in last 15 years (hey I'm still doing it now, but there is no shame in making a mistake is there :)

Anyone can play this game, but its a hard game to play really well.

5. ian

ian Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

Agreed, but so much fun trying :D

6. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

Drop everything apart from the ultra high quality stuff.

Thank me in 10 years time.

7. invincible

There isn't enough truly ultra high quality in .uk for everyone so it follows that those that still wish to trade in domain names will resort to other inventory. Some will do okay and others won't. When is it sound business and when is it an addiction?

8. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

The party is well and truly over.

9. invincible

Which party? There are many. I'm enjoying the ones I go to.

10. Blake United Kingdom

Blake Active Member

That's a sad fact....

11. baldidiot United Kingdom

baldidiot Active Member

The nominet price change has definitely rocked the boat - think it's made people take a hard look at their portfolios and realise there's a bunch they don't want that have been accumulated of the years.

We're mainly buyers (can count on one hand the number of times we've sold, and it's usually been to friends in the industry) but we're doing an audit today of what we have, what projects they're assigned to, and what is unlikely to get developed (by us).

The latter may end up on Acorn...

12. baldidiot United Kingdom

baldidiot Active Member

Also from a buyers perspective the past couple of weeks have been brilliant - there's definitely a lot of people offloading their tattier domains, but we've picked up a few good interesting buys.

13. humble pie United Kingdom

humble pie Banned

Can't much left that won't have been through the system in a year or so, that'll be pretty much two decades. We must be at saturation point by now?

14. denchomsky United Kingdom

What I can't quite believe, looking at some of the huge lists of domains, is how much rubbish some people have reg'd/bought.

I have reg'd some crap domains in my time but in nowhere near the volume or consistency being displayed on some of the sales threads.

15. invincible

A difficulty when you make this sort of statement is you seem to be too polite to provide actual references perhaps because it's considered not nice or unprofessional or possibly even bullying. Since you don't nobody can be sure exactly what you are referring to, even though it may seem obvious.

We all have different size portfolios, are of varying means and having differing business ideas. Some may appear to have made crazy registration choices but I still believe there would have had to have been reasons for those. Obviously without sale values and transfer statistics from each portfolio holder I don't believe one can reasonable begin to understand motives or ascertain whether past decisions made were sensible or emotional.

16. Lovekraft United Kingdom

Lovekraft Well-Known Member Full Member

In my history of registering domains, i don't recall any registrations i made as falling under "emotional". :)

17. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Its also possible the sales threads are listing their "tattier", second or third tier domains not their premium names.

18. invincible

I don't doubt that. Unless it's earning money somehow a premium name costs a registrant the same as any other name, acquisition cost aside, until it's developed or sold. Some portfolio holders have better premium names than others. One quick way to potentially evaluate a portfolio, although not fool proof, could be to examine a list of its 100 longest registered domain names.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  19. denchomsky United Kingdom

Tatty or not they still reg'd or bought them in mass volume.

20. denchomsky United Kingdom

I don't want to get into a slagging match about the quality of specific members domain portfolios. There have been many times in the past where I would love to have left a negative comment in or in reference to a sales thread, but it is not allowed and yes, it's unprofessional.

It would be interesting though to ask some people what their motivations were behind some purchases.

21. humble pie United Kingdom

humble pie Banned

Let's face it, there's probably only about 1000 'premium' strings in the whole .uk namespace.