Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

It's time to end the talk of "reg fee"!

Discussion in 'Selling Domain Names' started by Edwin, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

I think a pitch based on typeins is the wrong approach to take.

You can easily have a domain with 5,000+ exacts on GAKT which gets less than 10 typeins a month. Purely on a "value of those typeins" basis, that's a pretty poor business proposition!

However, that same domain name could be used to dramatically reduce PPC costs by boosting the CTR of a PPC ad campaign. Or it could be used as an easier-to-remember offline ad URL redirect. Or in many other ways, each of which has a far, far higher return than the theoretical value of that typein traffic.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. BREWSTERS United Kingdom

BREWSTERS Well-Known Member

Good point well made.

All I would say in defense of that, is that the type in traffic is the most quantifiable element, and something which compares favourably to the other forms of traffic generation they may be employing.

4. BREWSTERS United Kingdom

Ok, this morning I sent out an email offering a domain for rent. This name I previously offered to end users at £300 with no interest. I've sent the email to the same list and so far have had one expression of interest.

The domain gets around 60 type ins per month and makes about $1 per month parked. I pitched it at a low £6 per month in an effort to start the rentals side. £66 a year net is better than £2 net and no-one could argue with a £540 valuation for the name (minimum).

I'll update as things progress - in the meantime, does anyone have a lease agreement I can use as a base please?

5. BREWSTERS United Kingdom

Update - got my first rental from the above lead; simples!

Think this could be a runner!

6. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Perhaps you could try doubling your rates with each new approach until you find the natural level that the market will support - you might be very suprised how high you can go.

7. BREWSTERS United Kingdom

Think I'll get a couple more under my belt and then increase the rates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.