Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

July PAB meeting report

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by Whois-Search, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whois-Search

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

July PAB meeting report is online:

http://www.nic.uk/news/latest/?contentId=4237

Important points:

Domaining
    Lock State
    Positive Renewals
    DRS Consultation
    Phishing
    Appointed members
    Matters arising

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. retired_member11

retired_member11 Retired Member

Who is the Chair of the PAB?

4. Whois-Search

Eric Ramage
    Appointed from: Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys

5. grandin United Kingdom

grandin Well-Known Member

Contract

Who wrote the contract of registration?

6. grandin United Kingdom

Absent

Andrew do you know why the representative from the DTI, Cabinet Office, IOC were all absent when you were discussing the DRS?

Lee

7. Whois-Search

Dave Evans from the ICO said he was on leave. The other two haven't given a reason publicly to the PAB but might have done to Nominet.

Also I haven't had a straight answer from Nominet yet as to whether the board has actually approved the DRS feedback report.

Remember even if everyone was there the PAB doesn't have the power to get rid of say the "default transfer policy" or extend the consultation. Due to the PDP flowchart we can only "comment" on it.

8. grandin United Kingdom

Andrew

Nominets reason for not pre vetting rights is...they are not for profit and work on a cost recovery basis...

This is the first time I have ever seen a company claim they can sell dodgy products cause their margins are tight....

Do you know anything about this statement Andrew?

Lee

9. Whois-Search

No but I know what your getting at Lee. :)

I know people that have had bailiffs turn up at their house with a High Court Writ - all for a £5 domain name.

How do you suggest Nominet advises registrants of this potential risk?

Would you like to see a full cigarette packet style warning http://www.notestomyself.net/notes/images/050612_english_fag_warning.jpg in the registrant contract? Or for Registrars to promote services like a trademark search http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tm/t-find/t-find-text.htm next to the a whois lookup?

10. retired_member11

retired_member11 Retired Member

Writs? What is this about?

11. Whois-Search

Instead of using the DRS some large corporates will take out a High Court injuction/law suit on you/a domain name instead.

12. retired_member12

retired_member12 Retired Member

... therefore moving the issue into the public arena. Are you aware of how many times this has happened at all?

13. olebean United Kingdom

olebean Well-Known Member

is this related to UK or further a field?

14. grandin United Kingdom

Andrew

A health warning on a packet of cigs does not stop a shop keeper from being prosecuted if it was reasonable to assume that the fag buyer was under 16....

Whilst a health warning on a domain name wrapper would be an improvement it does not deal with the under 16 year old i.e. Nominet should not be offering tescoestateagents.co.uk to a entity that isn't tescos the supermarket giant.... pre vetting registrations is the route but Nominet ignore this....if I was a judge then I would certainly make Nominet partly accountable for offering the good in the first place.....8 years ago I would have said different

Maybe Nominet as merely weighing up the relative costs...a cheap DRS would limit their liability in the courts....the cost of being sued as opposed to the cost of pre-vetting domain names

the dodgy domain name default transfer is clearly damage limitation in my eyes

Lee

15. olebean United Kingdom

Lee

It would be interesting to know the out of court settlement figure for sex.com.

A domain is a good? There is no agreed definition as to what a domain name is, it is agreed what the DNS does.

I'm also interested in what you feel Andrew or able to to if he felt your arguement carried weight

16. grandin United Kingdom

Andrew

Andrew has an interest in peoples views, I have given my view.

I do not believe Nominet will come to my way of thinking unless they are considered by the courts as party to a rights issue...if they keep the DRS shifting dodgy names quickly at low cost that day may never come....saying that any registrant may feel that Nominet misled them to believe they could have a domain name (but was taken from them in a DRS)....they could goto the county court and ask for the renewal fees back along with expenses related to the drs complaint.. a novice domainer could well be able to do this

Lee

17. olebean United Kingdom

Your suggestion gives added weight to the unilateral approval of rights to organisations where those rights may be unwarranted, that may embroil Nominet in litigation for not approving registrations. In effect it is the reverse of what Nominet are doing now and you would probably slate them if they didn’t get it right, which is ironic when experienced judges cannot get it.

We could make it easier and just give all the domains to corporates!

BTW, Do you have a cost to your way of thinking?

18. grandin United Kingdom

remarkable

No remarkable business has ever been created without trying to make it remarkable in the first place....it is not impossible to pre vet domain names it just needs more than denial....

a mind is a mind and if a true mind is a judges mind then Nominet are likely to have to cough up one day

Lee

19. Whois-Search

The UK naming committee used to pre vet domain names?

Quote from 14 May 1996:

One from 1 Jul 1996:

However today more domains are registered each month than there was in the whole database back then?
    1996: http://www.nominet.org.uk/intelligence/statistics/registration/1996/
    Today: http://www.nominet.org.uk/intelligence/statistics/registration/

Nominet would need an automated system to pre-vet domain names?

I like the way Companies House XML Interface works to check company names: http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/toolsToHelp/efilingfaqUpdate.shtml

Maybe under EPP Nominet could allow companies to pay to block keywords like Apple, Microsoft, Google, Virgin etc However only the law/drs can prove if a keyword is generic or not? Some people will object to certain keywords being blocked?

20. grandin United Kingdom

citi group case

The judge in the citi group case could not find a conceivable reason why citigroup needed to be registered by anyone apart from the well known rights holder.....this sort of name is the type of name that could bring Nominet into the picture given their level of knowledge as at today

Lee

21. fred United Kingdom

fred Active Member

The problem is that while it might be clear that nobody should have a need to register names including "Microsoft" or "Citigroup", and that 'generic' keywords such as "Orange", "Virgin", "Easy" and "Apple" should NOT be blocked, there are also 'grey areas' such as "ebay".

For example, I should not register "ebayauctions" but why can't I have "MorecambeBay"?

You would need to manually check every domain, causeing both delays and opening up Nominet to the risk of legal challenges. Delaying registrations with extra checking will also add costs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.