Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Killing the market from within?

Discussion in 'Domain Research' started by julian, Dec 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

That's probably because you, like some others on AD, clearly need the money to survive on. If you didn't then you might see a value in holding some domain names longer term!

"...ever again..." is a very, very long time. Good domain names do still sell, privately, for significant sums.

(from iPad - K)

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. paymatters United Kingdom

paymatters Active Member

Domain catchers are probably happy to turn a quick decent profit?

4. invincible

That's too broad a question. Some will be quite happy to turn a quick profit possibly because they need the money. Others might be happy to hold and wait, possibly because they don't need the money so immediately. This seems logical to me and there's nothing wrong with either. :)

My perception is today there may be more people that have a need to sell quickly than eight years ago. There certainly seem to be fewer people who are noticeably contributing to the forum and are warehousing.

Every member is individual and has an individual set of priorities and, I'll repeat, that there is no right method. Understanding the methodology of each individual seller could be advantageous.

5. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

You and I both know that is 100% not true at all

6. ian

ian Well-Known Member

You seem to be hung up on those selling domains needing the money, but this certainly is not the case for me, far from it, but owing to the fact I'm 'late' to this industry, I see flipping domains to be the best way of profiting in a time scale that suits me, though I have a longer view on a few of them, some of which are now in the hands of end-users. I'm sure some need to open up funds for a multitude of reasons, but I doubt it is the case for most, just maybe a different approach to your own!

7. invincible

Just stating a point of view. Surely you don't doubt that some, if not many, *do* need it? :) Like I stated, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I'm not understanding why being late to the industry is relevant to your preference for flipping domain names quickly to realise a profit sooner than if you held out. Why do you believe it is? Surely if you were acquiring desirable domain names now, and truly didn't need to realise a profit from them immediately, you'd be holding? :)

You *had* in the case of those that are? You sold ads.co.uk for £10k, right or wrong?

I think you'd be surprised how many members might rely on their quick turnover domain name sales to cover day to day cost of living or additional luxuries that they've become used to.

(from iPad - K)

8. ian

ian Well-Known Member

It may indeed be the case, but I wouldn't say "probably" ;)

I believe, albeit from limited experience, that values will continue to drop, so a 'confirmed' profit sooner is better than a 'maybe' profit later. Everyone has a different approach, but I can't answer Julian's question on the reason for the amount of premium sales recently and whether they are having a damaging affect on values; maybe (without wishing to name names) bluerock should contribute to this thread, as he has a lot of decent domains and is obviously happy to try and sell them to fellow domainers now, rather than wait for end-users.

I *have* some quality domains and *have* sold some to end users but I'm not at liberty to discuss the in's and out's of the named domain; you know better than to ask ;)

Have a great Christmas and New Year.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  9. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Are you borrowing Invincibles play book, if I modify that post a little to include the little bold bit, I'd swear it was his :p

10. Sam

Sam Super Moderator Staff Member

Dave so not true but some people like to do this that's fair enough...

Sent from my Oneplus One

11. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Noo

If it was invincible he would of said "my client" it's always the mystery client, never himself ;)

12. invincible

I would have said "my client" and that's because on many occasions it is. That's no mystery. It's fact and it can be proven. Anyone wishing to is welcome to consult the WHOIS and make direct contact with any registrant they choose.

(from iPhone)

13. Mgx

Mgx Banned

It's amazing how some people always say how sellers are selling to low etc, yet these members never actually put money where there mouth is. It's abit like someone recommending a share investment without actually having bought these shares :p.

14. invincible

"...some people always say..." - which people and where do they "always say"?

It's been established that certain members obviously like to flip domain names quickly rather than hold and that's fine. Beyond that, if a specific domain name sale is exampled it doesn't seem unacceptable to state ones opinion about the sale. In my opinion it doesn't follow that should another person believe a domain name sold for less than they would have wanted then that person should have been prepared to buy the domain name at the price it did sell for. Example: if ads.co.uk was really sold for £10k then in my opinion it was sold quite cheaply. If I had been the registrant selling it I would have held out for more. It doesn't follow that because I hold this opinion I would have, or should have, been obliged to purchase it from the former registrant for £10k. I don't have a limitless budget that allows me to make such purchases on a whim and if I did I might have found alternative things to spend the money on! :)

Nothing like the example you have given I'm afraid because there are plenty of people who are qualified and will advise about investments based on past data yet aren't investors themselves (e.g. they're not permitted to be or don't have enough of their own wealth).

(from iPad - K)

15. stender United Kingdom

stender Well-Known Member

Didn't the majority of business on here die with a google update? EMD's were the volume if I recall. Most of us buying and catching them to put up low quality 2-3 page sites full of ads which we could still rank on page 1, or affiliate script sights.
    I don't catch anymore, I'm not interested in EMD's and have let most of mine expire. Personally I only buy brandables as and when required.

16. markb United States

markb Active Member

I would say this is mostly true, One word generics and brandables are the main domains that still sell now for ok prices. Many two and three word EMD have dropped in price considerably but still seem to sell, but for nowhere near the amounts they did years ago.

17. invincible

Which EMD's actually sold high years ago but wouldn't today? Can anyone name half a dozen that did but now wouldn't? I'm asking because I feel it's time to see some comparable figures.

(from Note 3)

18. getmein United States

getmein Active Member

I think a name like cheapcruises wouldn't sell for 50k now and a large part of that is it no longer comes with a massive advantage in naturally ranking for the keywords in the domain name. I also don't think poker org uk would sell for 25k now, because it's also lost it's EMD advantage. So I think in both these cases a large part of the premium the buyer was paying for, was the ability to float these sites higher up the serps, at a lower cost.

19. invincible

cheapcruises.co.uk currently features on page 2 of my Google results when searching for "cheap cruises". I can't find poker.org.uk when searching for "poker" at the moment. When I look at the former domain name my presumption is that cruises are usually high value purchases and some people are looking for cheaper ones. It's still a descriptive two word domain name relating to cruises that some people might likely look at and consider attractive as a destination for finding "cheap cruises", even if there is less of an advantage in ranking it in Google than there once might have been. "Cheap Cruises" is still a viable brand, in my opinion. If it were anything longer then it might not be.

poker.org.uk might be an attractive domain name to use as a very informative site with well written poker related content. My opinion of org.uk is some can do very well because they infer the web site the domain name resolves to might primarily be not for profit and possibly more legitimate. A well written site with plenty of well written and relevant content about poker, using poker.org.uk, might do well and could contain a sprinkling of links to online poker sites.

I don't really consider either domain name you have exampled as an EMD like I would consider "inductionhobs.co.uk" or "electrickitchenbins.co.uk" to be. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.