Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

laptop recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by tifosi, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

My laptop has decided to start thinking for itself, including redesigning it's desktop whenever it feels peevish.

Any recommendations for laptops in the £600-£900 range:
    core2 (7250+)
    120+GB
    2GBram
    business orientated, so no fancy dolby etc

One currently favourite is acer 6529-302G16Mn. So a similar spec to that.

S

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. uglygit

uglygit Active Member

Tifosi

If you can afford it go for an IBM if not next best thing would be a dell. go on their website and build one to your spec.

4. developdomains United Kingdom

developdomains Well-Known Member

go for a dell!

i have a dell inspiron 9300, had it for 2.5 years, its used everyday for 8-9 hours a day, never ever gave me a minutes problem.

dell are well built, quick to dispatch. Mine has the 17" screen which is well worth paying the xtra for.

dell get my thumbs up!

5. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

The Toshiba Satellite Pro range, the Toshiba Tecra range. Good build quality.

However, there are issues with Windows Vista that can make any new laptop unstable, think about whether you would prefer a Win XP Pro machine for stability.

Dell also offer good value for money and have a lot of enthusiasts.

Sony Vaio's are let down by the amount of software Sony insist on adding, other than that nice.

Not sure about Acer, ask questions about build quality and reliability on cheaper systems.

For where to buy, see:

WirelessLaptops.co.uk

Rgds

Accelerator

6. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

Get a Dell. Don't get an Acer.

7. deconstruction United Kingdom

deconstruction Well-Known Member

i have always had HP never had any problems.

comet have a nice one for £949 :)

8. mojoco United Kingdom

mojoco Well-Known Member

I have got a Dell which has been fine. The guy I use for hardware stuff tells me that from a repair/maintenance point of view Toshiba are by far the best. He has less trouble with Toshiba than any other manufacturer.

9. FC Domains

FC Domains Well-Known Member

I use several Toshiba Satellite Pro's. Fairly basic ones, but loaded with as much RAM as they will take.
    On laptops memory is far more important than as fast CPU.

10. Slater United Kingdom

Slater Active Member

Have to agree I've had a Toshiba Tecra for last 12 months which I use during the day, never had any problems.

Toshiba were advertising on radio today saying that if you had a hardware problem within the warranty period they would replace the laptop and also refund your money, might be something on their website about it.

Mark.

11. afx Thailand

afx Active Member

As mentioned IBM's (now Lenovo) or Tosh's are decent machines. It depends on what you want out of a laptop, eg. how much you travel with it etc. If you dont mind the extra weight and want to save a few quid, Dell's are fine workhorses, HP's arent bad either. For me the IBM / Lenovo always comes out on top due to the reduced weight, composite titanium casing, active hard drive protection, (possible marketing hype, but I've never had a failed disk) and the best keyboard of any laptop on the market.

12. mat

mat Well-Known Member

Dells always seem a good option!

13. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

I use a Dell for work (it bounces quite well when I'm travelling) and I just bought a Toshiba for home / multimedia use. If you go through airport security all the time like I do, put a sticker on your laptop with your name on it, else they all look the same!

On the toshiba, I managed to get £55 worth of extras thrown in free from PCworld by choosing one with a Comet store right next door and playing the sales guys off against each other :) (who ever gives me a deal gets my business).

If you dont ask you dont get!

The Tosh I have has a High Def DVD player, the first time I saw a laptop with this but worth noting for future proofing a little.

14. SF

SF Well-Known Member

This Vaio is the nuts packed with the latest gadgets that you will be forever playing with it :)

15. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

Been using an Acer Travelmate at home for 3yrs, and used them at work. Guess it's a pattern, but wanted to look at other options.

Thanks all, keep the recommendations coming. I'll be wading through the IT mags tomorrow foro their group reviews & awards.

S

16. kennyboy

kennyboy Active Member

Toshiba Equium running for around 14 hours a day for 12 months with no problems whatsoever. The kids share one too, again no problems.

17. mally United Kingdom

mally Well-Known Member

A little secret with PC world!

When you go to purchase the saleman with offer you their computer insurance deal to get your laptop repaired for upto 4 years. Your looking at about £250+ for the full cover, however alot of that is commission to the salesman.

Ask him how much would he knock the cost of the laptop if you took full sales cover.

You can cancel the insurance the following day after purchasing the laptop and get a full refund.

You should be able to get £50-£100 off no probs!

18. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

In the end gone for the Toshiba Tecra.

Good deal ATM, 25% cheaper than a few months ago and good spec.

S

19. antonUK2

antonUK2 Member

Tifosi,

Dell UK have got some good prices on laptops for SME customers atm, alternatively i just purchased this HP Laptop and v.pleased with its performance :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.