Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Latest G update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Anyone heard anything of the Pigeon update? I think it's just local results affected and US only?

I don't know about pigeon but what I have seen over the last few weeks is the same players now dominating the first page for many search terms, squeezing out the small independent companies which is a real shame. Google is slowly going to shit.

The main players I'm talking about are

yell
thomson local
free index
gumtree

I'm fecked off seeing the same shit on page 1 :rolleyes:
Google is becoming a directory of search directories.

Quite ironic though. If this is the long term shape of things to come, it could be google's demise.

Anything to do the a "trade - city" is dominated by the above. People will become brainwashed (as they are at present with google) to the same sites and slowly bypass google and go straight to yell (or one of the others) to do their search.

For tradesmen, you now need to be in the above as well as google if you want to pick up new customers via the net.

Last edited:
@scooter - I haven't bothered with SEO in a good while now and decided to search for "trade city" just to see if you are right.

All 4 of the sites you mentioned were on page 1. That's pretty crazy.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

You forgot ratedpeople and mybuilder.

Edit, there is some hope tho, as google local results show a URL, so a nice URL works well still :)

I have an EMD for {trade}{city}.

When you search {trade}{city} we're number 4. {city}{trade}we're number 5.

No matter what I seem to do, there is no way of getting higher, and above these fecking gumtree, thomson and yell listings.

Luckily, I'm the first 'real' result and many who contact us say that we were the first result that wasn't spam, which is nice :)

be nice if bing and yahoo get mor eof a foot hold.

does feel like Bing is getting a little bit more recently, maybe owning Skype helping - good move by ms to buy that methinks..

be nice if bing and yahoo get mor eof a foot hold.

does feel like Bing is getting a little bit more recently, maybe owning Skype helping - good move by ms to buy that methinks..

Just looked at one of my sites that I know most of my traffic comes from two searches, 1st on google bing and yahoo for both

81% overall traffic is google
2% yahoo
1% bing

I would guess that's fairly typical

Long way to go.

Just looked at one of my sites that I know most of my traffic comes from two searches, 1st on google bing and yahoo for both

81% overall traffic is google
2% yahoo
1% bing

I would guess that's fairly typical

Long way to go.

I'm not sure if Bing will survive, I heard somewhere that it is making a big yearly loss.

Whilst I share the frustrations, I can see why the big brands get better positions, there are more quality signals for those sites in most instance, they would also have bigger budgets for SEO.

....so take it no one has seen anything of this latest update!

My core site sees ~35 times more traffic through G than B.

Can't say I have but I don't have any type of local site

I did notice yesterday that if you google "translate" it gives you a translation box right there in the search results, not sure how long that has been there

My core site sees ~35 times more traffic through G than B.

I don't think it's yet hit the UK, I may be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom