Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

LLL.co.uk price going down

Discussion in 'Domain Research' started by bensd, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

I would have bid on cgb.co.uk but they didn't have PayPal as a payment option, there have been quite a few names on DL that I would have bid on, but for the same reason I couldn't.

2. rob

rob Founding Member

Agreed - would have gone for 100 on top !

3. jasman United Kingdom

jasman Active Member

I'm glad someone has brought up the issue of paypal. Why would you bid if paypal is an option but not if bank transfer is? Don't you have Internet banking set up? I can't think of any other legit reason. Surely it's about as easy to log into yor bank and make a transfer as it is log into paypal.

From a seller's perspective taking a 3% hit from paypal really sucks, especially if you've had to take a 16.67% cut from having VAT come off the sale price, and for those who are in partnership with Denys, you have to give half to him as well. Taking into account all these things and the reg fee, if a name goes for £50it's heardly worth the bother. Paypal transactions are a pain in the arse to reconcile when doing your accounts as well. That's why I don't like accepting it.

If people have some valid reasons for insisting on paypal as a payment option, then I'd like to hear them. Might prompt me to start accepting it again too.

4. Systreg

No, I don't have a bank account, so no facilities for online banking, and even if I had my own bank account, I would never use online banking, after years of being involved in anti fraud stuff, I don't trust any form of online banking.

I don't particularly like banks/banking, never seen a need for them, always been a cash man away from the internet, never had a cheque book or credit card in my life, which means I've never been in debt, if I want something and can't afford to pay cash, then I can't afford it, is mostly how I go through life.

I use my Mrs' PayPal account in her name for domaining in order to accept and make payments for domains etc.

Not the case, there's no need for the seller to take a hit, or the buyer either, personally, when I buy domains, I always pay the PayPal fee at my end so that the buyer gets the full amount, there is a way you can send PayPal to keep fees to a minimum or sometimes zero fee.

Someone recently sent me £800 and I asked them to send it the way that I send payments, they paid the fee at their end, except they didn't even get charged a senders fee, a lot of the time, you either pay no fee, or something low like £1.15 even on payments high £xxx

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  5. atlas Canada

atlas Well-Known Member

Not everyone is in the UK!

You can ask for payment via Paypal mass pay - then the buyer pays the transaction fee and the fee is quite nominal - 65p I believe.

Also, for buyers outside the EU, there are no VAT issues.

6. jasman United Kingdom

jasman Active Member

Agreed, for international sales, that's a good reason and the VAT exemption does make the sale a lot more worthwhile. But I had a complaint from Paypal about receiving mass pay for domain sales. They said it wasn't for those kind of transactions (not that I care what 'they' say). But they did say if I accepted more payments like that, they might disable me account. I guess they are flaggin up accounts receiving mass pay payments and cracking down on it.

Well that sounds really refreshing, someone cutting banks out of the picture entirely. We should all be doing that, taking back our sovereignty and loosening the banks' grip on all of us. So good for you! I'd really love to do that but I can't see a way to send and accept payments for online stuff though (apart from paypal which is basically an Internet-only bank anyway). What about paying for hosting, receiving advertising/ affiliate revenue from your sites etc? How can you do that without a bank account?

Surely your Mrs has a bank account as well anyway? Don't you need a bank account from which to transfer funds into your Paypal account? If she has wouldn't you just be able to do a bank transfer?

7. Systreg

@ Jasman, I'm not cutting banks out of the picture completely, they obviously have their place for people who need them constantly, and I'll be opening a bank account for myself over here soon, It's just that I've never bothered with banks before domaining, anything to do with banking, I find it alien. I prefer old fashioned cash, that's all there is to it.

Yes, the other half has a bank account, and I also use her card, which is only used for Nominet, anything else is done by PayPal. Never done online banking and I ain't about to start now.

By the way, re Atlas' suggestion above, I don't use Mass Pay when sending PayPal to people, there's another way on there to keep fees low or zero.

[edit]

I did once accept a payment by bacs not long after I started here, once and only time, but that sort of stuff giving out bank details just doesn't feel right to me.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  8. wb

wb Well-Known Member

I guess there's Western Union for that... :D

9. atlas Canada

atlas Well-Known Member

A bunch of LLL.co.uk auctions just ended on Sedo, with pathetic results:

ybc.co.uk - highest bid 75 gbp - reserve not met
    ymg.co.uk - highest bid 100 gbp - reserve not met
    yrp.co.uk - highest bid 55 gbp - reserve not met
    ycs.co.uk - highest bid 70 gbp - reserve not met

OK, they're crappy LLL, but still - no one is willing to bid higher than 55 gbp for an LLL?! Doesn't say much for the state of LLL.

10. rob

rob Founding Member

I would have, and no doubt many more would pay greater for them.

I didnt even know Sedo had that auction running, I only view it now via the odd nose via the Domain Lore tab. The last time I looked there was utter utter shit being 'auctioned'.

I think it says more about the auction / venue rather than the names.

If the seller is reading this I will pay double the sedo prices for the set ;)

11. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member

The reserve prices on all of them was £500-999 otherwise I would have had a bid.

12. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

The scarcity argument - dosen't and never did hold water. Holding premium 3 letter domains is as good today and as it will and ever has been. Trying to 'shirt-tail' in selling poor demand lettering is the same as any other shirt pulling domain. Funny but, never much more

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.