Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Looking for advice on domain dispute

Discussion in 'Domain Name Disputes' started by Rockon, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockon

Rockon New Member

Hi,
    I have my own name as a .co.uk domain. I would appreciate some advice as I have a company demanding that I hand over the domain name to them. They say that I was damaging his reputation as there happened to be a link to another website which had nothing to do with him. (there was previously a short biography of the other guy with the same name as me and a link to amazon where there were books about his work) I was doing little else other than trying to put a stop to email enquiries which I was recieving now and again.
    I have to say the link they were refering to was there by accident I just hadn't removed it. The link in case you are wondering went to a perfectly reputable website, it was not anything offensive what so ever.
    I bought the domain for putting up my own work but due to other web projects hadn't got around to completing my site. I never purchased the domain for missleading people what so ever.
    Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks
    Rockon

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. olebean United Kingdom

olebean Well-Known Member

Rockon

welcome to this side of the pond!!

Glad you removed the link.. keep that to pm only!

4. Beasty

Beasty Active Member

If the domain is your own name, then you have a right to register it and to use it for your own things.

I take it from your post that the name is also the name of a famous person and you had linked to Amazon where their products were for sale. Whether this amounts to honest business practice - a requirement of the own name defence - I am less sure.

None of the above constitutes legal advice. PM me if you want legal advice.

5. sinder.cinder

sinder.cinder New Member

If the domain is your own name, then you have a right to register it and to use it for your own things.but your matter is a hard nut to crack.the name is also name of a famous peerson,so I advice u register a new name.
    you can register on http://www.******.com ,this website is reliable and price reasonable:p

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2007
  6. rob

rob Founding Member

That smells like spam... and google indicates the same :)

7. Nikki

Nikki Member

need to know more details ie it is .com or .co.uk. The thing is if the term you register as a domain name is generic or something that you have a right to use. Then go on. use it. ignore that letter/email but keep everything as evidence in case you r filed with a complaint. (if necessary, print it out) The trend nowadays is to deny a complaint except it is really obvious that you r squatter. lol :)

Perhaps, you can talk with this guy at motorz.com, he was filed to take back the domain name by motorola but I think he has a gut to fight for what he has and he won. Miracle, isn't it, with Motorola.

Anyway, if there r more to ask n u feel it is private, your welcome to pm me.

8. Whois-Search

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.