Domain Manage

M1 Speed Cameras

Discussion in 'General Board' started by retired_member32, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retired_member32

retired_member32 Retired Member

I don't know if anyone uses the M1 around junction 24-26 but it has become an absolute nightmare due to the 50 mph speed restrictions due to extending the width of the carriageway.....or that's what i thought

i noticed the other day that to recoup the cost of the extension we will be paying for it with speed cameras above the carriage,these really are a relentless government,can't they just build something because it needs doing?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. charlie

charlie Well-Known Member

At the london end you haven't been able 2 get out of second gear for about 4 years with the widening upgrade. Is it along the whole length?

4. retired_member32

retired_member32 Retired Member

when i used to drive around the carpark namely the m25 this varied speed limit made the journey very stressful ,also there were cars belting by me at 80/90 mph even though above my head it said the limit was 40 mph also it was fairly empty considering ,do they work or are they just gimmicks ?

5. disruptive

disruptive Well-Known Member

Yep its a pain, I do the M1 trip from London to leeds all the time...its a pain alright.

6. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

There was a stretch near me in manchester where they put them damned distanced cameras, you know the ones that track the time it takes you to travel past each one, then averages the time over distance to work out if you speeded.

I don't know the proper name for them but they covered about 6-10 miles of the manchester ring road for about a year while they widened from 3 lanes to 4 lanes and it was murder, half the people I know incl my sister got tickets off that.

Count yourself lucky its only cameras which can be detected :)

Edit: Apparently they are called SPECS - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7048645.stm

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  7. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Until a change in the way those cameras were allowed to operate came in, either this year or last, SPECS were only licenced to work in pairs. So it was a resonable assumption that cameras covering the same lane would be paired up. So on a three lane motorway, with lanes 1, 2 and 3 you would have cameras A1, A2 and A3 and then B1, B2 and B3 etc. If you changed lanes between cameras, so started by passing under A1, changed lanes before passing under B3, changed lanes again before passing under C2 etc. you'd pretty much be sure that you wouldn't receive a ticket. Funny thing was, when I did this, other cars would think the cameras weren't working and speed up; probably not realising the process and ended up with tickets. Anyway SPECS can now be used across lanes and don't have to be paired up in the previous way so I wouldn't suggest doing it now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.