Domain Manage

Maestro card disappearing from UK?

Discussion in 'Domain Research' started by invincible, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

[Note: I've posted this in here because I am not sure where it is the most applicable, so mods please feel free to move it if needbe]

HSBC is phasing out Maestro card and so are RBS/Natwest/Coutts. Does that leave anyone else left, of a significant size in the UK, offering it?

The reason I am asking is the Registrant of maestro.co.uk won the DRS and subsequent DRS Appeal over this domain name. If VISA are becoming the preferred UK debit card brand, surely the value of this domain name is going to plummet given Maestro card won't be interesting in offering silly money for it like they might have been in the past.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. dtm

dtm Active Member

I know that HSBC and NatWest/RBS both have recently changed over to Visa Debit. Alliance + Leicester and presumably other Santander banks have always used Visa Debit (Since I've had an account with them)

As for the domain name, It could increase the value, it could be more brandable now if the card maestro is phased out completely?

4. devolution

devolution Active Member

Apart from the domain issues, this is big news...
    Since MasterCard 'runs' the Maestro brand, they'll see a huge loss in transaction fees - and Visa a huge increase of course...

I wonder if MasterCard might be bought out or merge with Visa?

5. invincible

No chance. It'd be a competition no-way.

6. liam United States

liam Active Member

Oneaccount,Clydesdale, Yorkshire Bank, still using maestro, as well as lot of german banks. Belgium only just changing over to maestro from old bancontact system. As well as a lot of prepaid cards. So still a market there.

Also some other european banks looking to change to maestro as in 2010 there is EU directive to have a common single payment area throughout europe.

7. invincible

So why are all UK mainstream banks switching to VISA Debit? Isn't Oneaccount an RBS brand? If so that'll be switching too, surely?

8. liam United States

liam Active Member

Didn't know one account was part of RBS , so probably will change soon , dunno why they are changing it though.

9. retired_member12

retired_member12 Retired Member

There'll be a reason somewhere along the line. We're talking Banks dont forget!

10. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Barclays are championing Electron (visa brand) being the opposit of Maestro.

I also know another bank is going to be offering Amex soon too, at the moment only amex themselves and MBNA offer them but another UK force is 'planning it' now. Mostly due to some deal Amex have in place with another company that is locked down so the only way to get a slice is climb in bed with Amex.

Don't most banks carry both Mastercard and Visa anyway ?

I still don't get the need for Solo, Switch, Diners, Visa, Mastercard, Electron, Maestro especially when majority are from the same 2-3 companies. I'm guessing limited of no credit score upto fantastic score dictates which one you get ?

11. retired_member12

retired_member12 Retired Member

Amex? Christ, no fooker wants to know about them anyway these days. Try using one in the normal sense, crossed fingers seem to be the response if you pull one of those out of your wallet. That would be a turn up for the book if they went back to mainstream. I remember the days when you had to prove you were earning a minimum salary to even be considered for one!

12. invincible

I thought Electron was more comparable to Solo (assuming that is still around, given Switch became Maestro) and worked by authorising the transaction only if the account holder's bank verified that the funds were available.

In the 1990s Lloyds Bank offered a Lloyds branded American Express chargecard. Also Lloyds TSB have been offering a two card credit card package for a few years, whereby the user gets an American Express credit card and a Mastercard credit card. The user is encourage to use the former rather than the latter because they get 1 point for every £10 spent rather than 1 point for every £50 spent (I think these were the numbers last time I looked). There may also be a Premier version that has an annual fee attached but gives an even better points ratio on the American Express side.

Lloyds TSB dropped VISA when they partnered with American Express, only keeping Mastercard. However if you have a legacy VISA card with them (such as a former TSB TrustCard VISA) then you can continue to be issued with it.

I think it goes like this:

VISA Electron - debit bit requires funds authorisation from the bank whatever the amount.

VISA Debit - (was known as Delta) - debit but not every transaction is authorised and accepted at more places because it has a proper VISA logo on it.

VISA Credit Card - Obvious.

Solo - Same as Visa Electron but by Mastercard (which also took over Switch). Not sure if still issued.

Maestro - Same as VISA Debit but accepted in fewer places because outside of the USA it doesn't carry the MasterCard logo (I believe they may carry the Mastercard logo in the USA). Some also have Cirrus logo on which is, I believe, just a branded card that can only be used at an ATM.

Mastercard - Same as VISA Credit Card.

American Express - Chargecard which is paid off monthly or Credit card which is paid off as you prefer.

Diners - Chargecard that is paid off monthly and in the USA this now carries the Mastercard logo on the back so can be used at any outlet displaying the Mastercard logo. Other versions exist including Carte Blanche.

JCB - Japanese credit card.

All for different types of customers

13. invincible

American Express is accepted in many more places than it was although B&Q recently dropped it. John Lewis now accept it, and have done for a couple of years. Boots also do, and famously did not. I find it is only smaller establishments and some restaurants that don't, or online retailers that are attempting to keep costs down (it costs more to process than VISA/MC). There is/was a thread about who accepted it on the Money Saving Expert forum.

With the original chargecard range, it's not actually unlimited purchasing power. Each transaction is individually scored and American Express use an algorithm to work out whether you can afford it. They also allocate a customer an unspecified virtual limit so if you suddenly go out and spend £20k in Tiffany's, and you don't usually do that, it'd probably be flagged and the retailer would get a telephone call. To increase your spending power, American Express will ask for proof of income and proof of wealth in the form of a bank reference.

14. Skinner

I dance like Rickey Jervais to get my amex gold, even paid the annual fee but then after it expired I had to reapply and they didn't accept it :(

They did send me that they called a "Premium" card but I think its whatever they send to anyone, which is quite a nice card, its Transparent (see thru) I use it JUST because its a cool card.

I don't know if this is still accurate but back maybe 4-5 years ago when I resident in a night club, we didn't accept Amex because they wanted a higher % of the transaction, I have the figure 5% in my head or 4.5% but I don't know where that number comes from its just there.

I'm looking for my Amex Now to post a pic, because it RAWKS!

15. Skinner

Invincible Branded Amex :p May contain NSFW Adverts.

I love this card, would have liked it more without that big square tho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.