Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Mikrosoft discovers malicious profiting from typos

Discussion in 'Domain Industry News' started by aqls, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aqls

aqls Well-Known Member

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1903695,00.asp

In essence, Msoft uses the "strider typo-patrol system" part of the "honey monkey exploit detection system" to discover that PEOPLE ARE REGISTERING TYPOS AND SERVING GOOGLE ADSENSE ADS ON THEM.

I fear this is a dangerous development and we should report any tpyos to the ploice.co.uk

-aqls-

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. olebean United Kingdom

olebean Well-Known Member

Doh!!

I wonder how much they spent on research and development to find the answer.....

Most of us could have told them that for free or a small fee

4. wwwdomain.name

wwwdomain.name Well-Known Member

ooops

Oh dear:rolleyes:

I just bagged wwwprosports.com (selling on ebay) when prosport.com is selling on ebay currently at $13k+

DN

5. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

This was a dirty trick Microsoft played, because both major competitors (Google and Yahoo!) participate in domain parking programs, whereas Microsoft doesn't have the service (yet) so this kind of article hurts G/Y! but not M. They had to put in a whole bunch of jargon to make it seem like "tech news".

6. olebean United Kingdom

It didn't work though did it

7. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Sure it did - it got some attention in the press. And many of the parking providers have accelerated efforts to boot TM/typos off of their services. But at the end of the day, it's still 1 article... it's not going to change the world overnight.

8. olebean United Kingdom

Thats what I meant

9. aqls

aqls Well-Known Member

I agree with Edwin completely.

It's effective PR.

It's also dirty PR.

With every press release and article sent by MS, you have to read underneath the words.

-aqls-

10. olebean United Kingdom

It may be dirty etc. that business life. its a no brainer especially without a seen plausible alternative and since MSN is served by yahoo.

Come on guys what do microsoft hope to gain?? Search purification for MSN, which is equally a no brainer, advertising bugets would deminish, the number of domain disputes would rise and in turn so would revenue chargeable by MSN. Unless they charge for submission! hmmm! Pointless when the brandable/generic domains are known.

Unless microsoft intend to place a search engine such as yahoo into their portfolio of companies and the bad publicity is intent on reducing the companies value. Or microsft have developed a script and intend to launch it with the next 6-12 months and the publicity is meant to destablise ad campagns.

Why do it?

Total waste of rescource unless I have read it incorrectly?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.