Domain Manage

My Domain Purchase

Discussion in 'Domain Name News' started by Murray, May 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murray United Kingdom

Murray Well-Known Member

Very happy to say I've just completed the purchase of Rabbit co uk

I've been considering investing is some quality domains over the past few months but have been too picky to actually seriously pursue anything

But I contacted the historic owner of rabbit a couple of month ago and after a few spread out emails of me making offers and him declining we were able to do a deal.

It's easily the most I've ever spent on a domain (not going to say the actual amount) but I'm very happy with what I got for the money.

I've bought it with the intention to sell, but I may end up using it for something in future if it's still with me, but no immediate plans.

The Seller was in spain so we used sedo's escrow service, pretty smooth and quick, no complaints and would use them again.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. bulkcorn United Kingdom

bulkcorn Active Member

How many smiles did buyer take to the bank? ;);) Email me, pls! LOL!

Brandable ..... the vibrating kinds being one use! :cool:

4. Murray United Kingdom

Murray Well-Known Member

Not really sure what you mean?

5. scottmccloud

scottmccloud Active Member

Great name, sure you'll do well whatever you do with it.

On a slightly related note, reading this domain name made me remember these. Blast from the past!

[​IMG]

6. atlas Canada

atlas Well-Known Member

Cracking domain - congratulations!

7. bulkcorn United Kingdom

bulkcorn Active Member

Sorry, I meant 'Seller'! :lol:

8. Murray United Kingdom

Murray Well-Known Member

Thanks guys

9. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

Hope you can sell it for a nice profit. I'd send out some targetted letters to potential buyers if you want a quicker sale.

Rgds

• Like Like x 1
  10. ian

ian Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

Nice name, hope it yields a good return for you.

• Like Like x 1
  11. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

You're not going to tell us what you paid but you're happy with what you paid? Why won't you reveal what you paid if you're happy with the amount? Are you concerned that revealing what you paid will somehow prejudice a future sale of the domain name?

Surely if you're "too picky" and this is easily "the most" you have "ever spent on a domain" you are very confident that the domain name was worth what you have paid and that future buyers will pay you more for it than you paid the previous registrant?

The price you paid was what the previous seller was happy to let it go for, not what other buyers could be prepared to pay you for it. If you are confident in your sums I see no reason not to be open with the price you paid.

If you still aren't prepared to reveal it then this is just a veiled advertisment and is not newsworthy because other than the fact that "rabbit.co.uk" may be for sale, the rest is about you and your opinion. :)

Unfortunately it also perpetuates the continuation of the overused "cracking domain" phrase by responders, usually devoid of any explanation about why they think it is such, which does nobody that wishes to learn from this forum (like you once did) any service.

It is difficult to write the above in a way that won't get thrown back in my face as some sort of sour grapes but I do believe what I have posted. A price might have made it newsworthy. :)

12. anthony United Kingdom

anthony Well-Known Member

Murray, well done lad. Not interested in what you paid, but if you get a sale then tell all at that point if you can.

Good luck with the sale!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
  13. fuzzer United Kingdom

fuzzer Active Member

yeah... I wanna know too :)

how about a guide range...?

14. Retired_Member38

Retired_Member38 Banned

But you know as well as I do that buyers aren't going to see it that way. If he posts that someone inherited the domain, didn't know what it was worth and sold him it for £200 then a potential buyer is going to cry foul at being asked £10k for it when they realise that. If there is a thread here saying he paid £9k for it then that same buyer won't cry about paying £10k.

It shouldn't matter, but human nature dictates that it does. imo he'd need to be mental to post what he paid for it, if he's going to actively look to sell it.

15. fuzzer United Kingdom

fuzzer Active Member

^^^ point taken.

pm please... :)

16. atlas Canada

atlas Well-Known Member

Do you disagree that it is a cracking domain?

17. invincible

I understand where you are coming from with your human nature point however why is any of this in the domain name news section? I registered two domain names yesterday but that fact is not newsworthy in itself. We could all comprehend that the domain name "rabbit.co.uk" was registered and we could also all comprehend that the registrant might consider selling it, without Murray posting that he had purchased it. The fact that he has purchased it changes nothing about the domain name and informs us of nothing other than a registrant has changed.

Your choice of figures were obviously just your choice because none of us, other than Murray and the former registrant, know what the domain name sold for. Do savvy buyers really cry about spending money on a domain name if they are confident that they are going to reap more than they invested in its acquisition cost? A buyer can utilise anything they like in an attempt to beat a seller down, including the "domain names cost £5 + VAT for two years" argument but a seller can refuse to sell the domain name until the figure they want for it is on the table. The buyer therefore does not get the domain name they want.

In my opinion if someone specifically wishes to acquire rabbit.co.uk (and not any other hypothetical domain name) and they have a decent budget whether they acquire it from Murray simply comes down to whether he wishes to part with it for the amount they offer him.

This domain name stands out as unique enough to keep attracting buyers who are genuinely interested and seriously able to acquire it for a decent amount, irrespective of whether they might know that domain names cost peanuts at wholesale or the amount the registrant paid someone else for it once upon a time. Any serious buyer is very likely to consider the ROI and very little else.

18. Darren United Kingdom

Darren Well-Known Member

+1

19. invincible

It depends what one means by "cracking". I like it but I don't like it anymore than many other domain names. There's also a difference between a "cracking domain" and a "cracking domain purchase" but many readers might not see that.

I consider very, very few .co.uk domain names to be truly great on their own.

It's a terribly overused phrase on AD, to the point of rolling off the keyboard without much thought and it would be beneficial if posters considered explaining why they considered a domain name to be "cracking" and equally beneficial to forum readers to view those opinions.

20. Retired_Member38

Retired_Member38 Banned

Its certainly in the top 1% of domains posted on Acorn.

21. invincible

Top 10% in terms of quality, putting aside any price paid for a moment. In my opinion the original post belonged under "taking offers" or "for sale" because I don't consider it was newsworthy. Had we been told the price paid or something more other than a member became the registrant of a domain name which we could all have comprehended existed, that might have been interesting. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.