Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Mydomain.com / Namesdirect - avoid these domain name registrars like the plague

Discussion in 'Domain Name Registrars' started by Azam.net, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azam.net

Azam.net Active Member

I have never suffered worse support from any company in my entire life than mydomain.com / namesdirect.

When you phone them for assistance they keep you hanging on the phone for ages and force you to listen to their tacky adverts and, as for email support ticket responses, forget it. You are lucky to get a one sentence response - in most cases all they say is everything is fine.

To give you just one example of what mydomain.com have put me through, I had to renew some very valuable two character .eu domain names that were expiring. They had one set of pricing on their site for renewals and another in the shopping cart when you tried to do it. Then, when I'd go through the entire process to renew the domains, there would also be a message saying the renewal didn't work. I tried several times using different browsers, credit cards etc.

Sent about 5 support queries back and forth. They tried to do it over the phone several times; wouldn't work. There were problems with their systems; a very frequent occurence with mydomain.com (whenever you try to login it says system error today too, which mydomain.com have just admitted to me on the phone).

To cut a long story short, they tried telling me that the problem was on Nominet's end. For anybody who knows domain names, Nominet is responsible for the .uk TLD and has nothing to do with .eu.

I emailed and phoned them several times back and forth explaining that Nominet had nothing to do with the .eu TLD which EURid was responsible for. They insisted the problem was with Nominet and that Nominet was not co-operating with them. Four or five different people at mydomain.com told me this.

It was like I had a problem with Coca-Cola and I was being told to contact Pepsi.

By now I was in danger of losing these valuable domains, so in total despair I contacted both EURid and Nominet. Both bodies emailed me back saying EURid was responsible for .eu domain names.

I sent those emails to mydomain.com. I thought matter resolved, the organisations themselves say EURid is responsible for .eu domain names, not Nominet, and I have it in writing.

And guess what? Mydomain.com continued to insist that Nominet were acting as an obstacle to the renewal of the domain name!

I showed mydomain.com the Nominet side, the EURId site, but they still insisted Nominet were responsible for .eu domain names.

There was another 10 odd times when I tried to email and phone them but no joy with getting see who was responsible for which TLD.

I have never been in more despair with a company in my life. Eventually I transferred the domain names to another registrar and the new registrar managed to renew them within a day with no problem.

Even though it was the most frustrating customer service experience of my life, I wasn't going to write about it, but six months later mydomain.com are continuing to provide the most abysmal customer service you will ever imagine. I don't have the time to explain all the many problems they have caused us for years and are still causing us with the handful of domains we haven't got around to transferring to other registrars - anything that takes 1 minute to achieve with another registrar often takes several days of sending them support emails; I would just urge people to avoid themselves having to bang their heads against the wall by staying clear of these jokers.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. rob

rob Founding Member

This made me chuckle :)

Surely this is not the same chap who threatened Acorn to get threads pulled when they pointed out inaccuracies in their sales, likewise their slanderous rants (for which no apology was made) were pulled very quickly on their request, now posting in a similar vein about company?!

Further info on http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/forum...usic-portal-sale-google-page-ranking-3-a.html , there was much more but threads were taken out but a mysterious threats / requests.

It speaks volumes that Azam can call this company 'jokers' but go near him with similar words and threads get pulled - and not just on acorn :)

Back on topic; I would suggest that as the names are EU its probably not worth their hassle, likewise Karma is a bitch isnt it? :)

4. Azam.net

Azam.net Active Member

I am pleased to hear it made you chuckle and you found it so funny that a fellow Acorn Domains community member went through so much suffering.

I wonder what that says about your personality.

There were people in history who got pleasure out of seeing others suffer and deliberately went of their way to increase their suffering.

This is, what, your 20th time you are having a go at me?

I don't like hostility and so stay clear of all your threads and avoid commenting in them, because you will use any opportunity to slip in a snide and baseless remark about me; indeed I shy away from even coming to Acorn Domains because of your persistant harrassment of me (and, as a result, I certainly never recommend the forums to people in my hundreds of articles and presentations). Yet, every single opportunity you get you attack me.

I have heard from a few people in domaining that you have an aggressive and difficult personality.

I must say, in all my years on the internet, I have never come across somebody of your ilk.

Keep up the harrassment of another human being, Rob, as a few years of it has obviously not given you enough chuckling.

5. rob

rob Founding Member

What about the domains you tried to sell for xx,xxx on here, without myself and a few other users flagging up the issues any purchaser would have had a fair bit of suffering as well to the tune of many thousands of pounds !

I did chuckle as it is great irony that you use this venue to post warnings when warnings about you are removed by your request.

That I try and help out others and call people out when I see them trying it on ?! :)

Wow :)

Tell you what - why not ask admin to reinstate your threads, then people can make their own comparisons?

I still have a copy of your post which accused me of many things - including theft of content - which is quite serious in this area of work. How do you expect people to feel when such baseless comments are posted about?

Its not harrassment, but more calling out the pot calling the kettle black. Really if you had not posted sales with multiple issues then there would be no problem at all. It is nothing personal, I have done similar to lots of previous users before :)

Feel free to ask / threaten the admin of this site and get this thread pulled as well, or perhaps let me have egg on my face and reinstate all your old threads :)

Sorry if thats too aggressive for you, but whats the point of beating about the bush?

6. itrends United Kingdom

itrends Active Member

Azam, why don't you just click the ignore feature on here for any users that make you not wish to join in?

http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/profile.php?do=ignorelist

Problem solved no?

For the record, I don't know what happened in the past so am not taking sides or passing judgement. Just trying to help everyone get along.

And sorry you had trouble with .EU domains. Suprised you didn't just move them in the first instance to another provider. Please don't tell me you still host domains with them if they are as bad as you say?

7. Azam.net

Azam.net Active Member

Thank you very much for the advice itrends. That is most appreciated.

95% of our domains are now not with mydomain.com / namesdirect; gradually moving them all away... just have to find the time.

Thanks again.

8. itrends United Kingdom

itrends Active Member

You are welcome.

And I would also like to clarify that I have found Rob to be a great member of these boards and would personally not recommend putting him on ignore lists. However, in your case it seems that we will all get along better if we do as otherwise we have to rely on self-restraint, and clearly that isn't going to happen based on the above messages.

Maybe Rob should put you on his ignore list too ;)

Either way, hope everyone gets along :)

9. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

well said itrends :) you would make a good moderator!

10. itrends United Kingdom

itrends Active Member

I run a few large forums online. This stuff gets boring quickly ;) lol

11. rob

rob Founding Member

I agree!

I encourage people to put me on their ignore list, but I am 100% sure they would lose more value than it being the other way around ;)

My issue is that members of a community need to keep an eye on things otherwise things can get out of hand. I dont think anyone wants Acorn to become a venue for incorrect sales, untruths and general rubbish.

There have been a fair number of users who have either been banned or no longer post as they know their rubbish will not be tolerated, likewise those who are still here and have apologised and cleaned up their acts.

Domaining has a bad enough reputation as it is, and Acorn on the whole keeps its standards high mainly due to the great official moderation and user based moderation. Along side Domainstate it is often viewed as one of the more legit forums out there and for good reason.

If the quality & accuracy is kept high everyone is happy, if it is not, expect someone to tell you so :)

12. itrends United Kingdom

itrends Active Member

Yup. And it is posts like this that hold some of the value you speak of.

There is always that fine balance between missing out on good information / advice and inputting way too much noise / conjecture / arguments / name calling etc. So sometimes the ignore is the best option if people can't bring their own mind to a high enough level to ignore it. :)

I think we can all safely move on from this now and carry on offering the value and friendship that should be more constant in the Domaining Community :)

So, well said Rob. Now we can all move on and get along :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.