Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Naming your price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Talking about lower end domains....one's that pass hands on here for sub £100.....but might achieve £1000 to a decent end-user.

What's the general feeling about naming a price on your domains to end-users?

I know everyone wants all they can get for their domains, but is it time we started putting a price on them?

Has anyone tried this and seen better turnover?

... or has anyone repeatedly repriced a domain to suit the next person they contact about it?

Your thoughts appreciated....

I always name a price, in fact I publish a price list with every domain on it. From my experience, it's created more sales than not.

I usually say I'm inviting offers but will often give some price guidance to an end user. I think it helps get interest, and can also help negotiations proceed more quickly.

Rgds

As a buyer it's much more appealing to me to have a price. Saves time, and means I can make a decision instantly.

as a buyer also am more inclined to reach an agreement when the seller starts off with a price vs leaving it open ended

If i was holding several thousand UK domains I would opt for a fixed price stratergy. It's a good and fair assesment of what method should maximise returns. Would I do It with my 500 Uk (equal .com) domains No - I would experiment . No domain has the same potiential

I personally don't agree with attempting to contact potential end-users either. However, I do like Edwins recent thoughts about 'reinforcing' a sales proposition which I am going to try - It's a good counter to the enquiriers that want to talk down their level of interest.

And to your question, yes Willborn I'am happy to look at a 'realtime' assesment before quoting todays selling price. Domains have no inherited fixed price structure. And those that have been around awhile don't have a problem identifying with todays market and equally downgrading yesterdays.

We work on 'shifting sands'

Thanks for all the responses ... some good info to apply to my strategy!

Cheers!

When contacting end users, the first thing I do is gauge interest, then I follow that up with a price to stop wasting any time for anyone.

Recent example, I sent out about 30 emails, had about 15 respond with interest, followed up with price and 6 made decent counter offers, 2 made low ball offers, and another one had a complete go at me for being a cyber squatter on a generic term (I have got use to this!) the rest respectfully declined.

I think having a price in your head that you would be happy with is the best way to go about it - though getting them interested first is important (in my view!)

Always name a price, it's the golden rule of merchantry of any kind.

its fine for lower to mid names

for the best say 2 or 3 %, never in first instance
value can fluctuate. up ;)
plus the best should always be held to develop at some point or take a wonderful offer

nothing wrong with pricing a portfolio in the main, but if you sell off some on forums or drop, you have to go back and 'undo' the pricing

I agree with pred - leaving history on domain pricing could be an outright killer - best avoided.
A lot depends with what your working with - even non-developers (like myself) have a good understanding of 'domain market dynamics'

Don't go there with a developer who thinks = Anything not-static is not real. (loads around) talk 24 months of history with no real prospect beyond yesterday

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom