Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

naughty naughty...

Discussion in 'Sedo' started by julian, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. julian United Kingdom

julian Banned

i'm just warming up the thread and keyboard before I absolutely publically slaughter and rip apart sedo domain auctions for another auction non-payment...

there is a chance for a reprieve if anyone from sedo wants to contact me to get it resolved in the next 24 hours.

thanks

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member

I have just had one where the transaction was cancelled (no payment) after 10 days by sedo. 48 hours later and i'm still waiting to find out why it was cancelled...
    Two support messages and an email to my transfer agent and still without and answer...

4. GreyWing

GreyWing Well-Known Member

Here is a theory into this and it's just a theory.

If someone makes a bid on your name and you decide it's a good price but you decide you are going to take it to auction anyway. In my view it's going to pee off that bidder.

So is it in his/her interest to try and screw up the auction with false bids?

Do Sedo have measures to counter this, as I think this may be a big cause of so many auction failures on Sedo.

Just my thoughts.....

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  5. retired_member34

retired_member34 Retired Member

Got to admit this has always annoyed me somewhat as a buyer. I always imagine walking into a car dealer, making an offer for a car, and the dealer turning round and saying "Great, I'll take that as an opening bid for an auction that didn't exist before now and tell you in 7 days if anyone bids more - if not it's yours!"

Not a perfect anology, but you get the drift. How about "The offer is for here and now, accept it and take my money or piss off!"

6. Jeewhizz

Jeewhizz Well-Known Member

I agree, and it's why I don't consider buying through Sedo anymore

7. BG United Kingdom

BG Well-Known Member

This has happened to me several times... as in, I place a bid on the domain waiting to hear a yes or a no answer, or more often than not a counter offer to be returned, but NO! You get an email informing you that the domain has now gone to auction. As a buyer its very frustrating because you dont really want other domainers to be aware of a potential bargain, nor do you really want to get into a bidding war, but on the other hand the seller is wanting to get the best price he/she can for there domain which is understandable, plus sedo are running a business and want to generate as much revenue as possible... As much as i hate this method I can however see both sides

In an ideal world the seller would submit a message back saying " Thank you for your offer - If you're serious about acquiring this name my asking price is X - If the price stated above isnt within your budget I am prepared to start an auction based on your previous offer with no reserve. Please confirm exceptance of my counter offer by clicking ACCEPT - Alternatively if i do not here back from you within the next 48hrs i will proceed with the auction - Good Luck (then as a buyer you feel you've been given a chance to purchase rather than being bullied into an action).

Sadly at the end of the day if it generates more money for the both seller and the company which are providing the service, then thats just business however much the buyer hates it...

Just my two pence worth.

BG

8. GreyWing

GreyWing Well-Known Member

It's one of the reasons I don't make offers om Sedo and it has been the biggest factor in me not buying some names.

There is absolutley no downside to the seller sending to auction, which begs the question, Why would any seller accept any offer without going to auction?

Maybe if they let the buyer attach to any offer, something like "This offer does not stand if goes to auction". I think they'll find they will sell more domains, or at least complete more transactions in full.

9. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

Agreed, it's a rubbish experience for a buyer. I once spent about 2 weeks negotiating for a domain, it got close to the price I wanted to pay and the seller sent it to auction. A week later someone placed a last minute bid and won the domain for a few quid more. Highly annoying waste of my time!

I now try and contact sellers direct before resorting to making an offer on Sedo.

Grant

10. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

I used to buy quite a lot of domains via Sedo, but after the auction thing was implemented and the first couple of sellers tipped my offers across to auction, I've given up even looking there. The uncertainty is a killer - if I'm not going to spend my money with them, I may want to spend it elsewhere, but I have to wait and fight it out with X unknown parties before I will find out if I got the name or not.

The old offer-counter system was fine (though there still needs to be a "turn down this offer flat without countering" button for use against people who are clearly just taking the proverbial...)

Perhaps they should take a leaf from eBay's book - the latter has been backpedalling every chance it gets away from an auction model towards a flat price model, and clearly intends to keep mutating its business model until auctions (once THE reason for eBay's existence) are marginalised.

11. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Also agree here, won't buy off Sedo unless the seller confirms they won't take my offer to auction, nothing worse than making an offer in the hope of a quick purchase, then being pulled into a 7 day auction to fight for a domain that no one else may have been interested in at that time. Shame on Sedo for giving buyers no protection!

12. sedo Germany

sedo Sedo Staff

Hi Guys,

Julian, I know which one this is, and please be assured I am doing my best with this one.

Please PM me the name of this one. I am a bit confused - it was cancelled due to non-payment, but you don't know why it was cancelled? Do you mean you would have preferred to give the buyer more time?

Regards,

Shaun

shaun.wilkinson@sedo.com

13. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

I'm another who believes that the auction model at Sedo has been detrimental to the overall value of domain sales. In the old days buyers would put in decent bids, now many are holding back their best offers, or not bidding at all, because of the possibility of an auction. Very few of our domains are now up for sale. I still think any bids should be binding on the bidder as Sedo's terms and conditions are quite clear. I still bid on domains knowing that it may go to auction. I do however hold back from putting in my best offer. Perhaps Sedo could introduce a new button i.e. [I]This seller has opted out of the auction option. You can bid on this domain in the knowledge that the seller can only counteroffer, cancel, or accept your bid - they cannot use your offer as an opening bid in an auction[/I] That should bring back some of the buyers who are fed up with the auction process.

14. sedo Germany

sedo Sedo Staff

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick update.

Julian - I've managed to get hold of your buyer, and he has promised to make payment today.

Bensd - PM sent.

Nigel -
    This is something in discussion already, and I will be sure to bring up the input from the contributors to this thread.

Regards,

Shaun

shaun.wilkinson@sedo.com

15. retired_member12

retired_member12 Retired Member

In relation to this point then Shaun, did you ever get around to determining the figures as we discussed in August last year, see:

"sedo-just-waste-my-time"

16. Reddy United Kingdom

Reddy Active Member

I too have stopped buying domains via sedo because of this auction issue.

David

17. Rich United Kingdom

Rich Active Member

Hi Shaun,

I have stopped looking on Sedo for same reasons as above

Rich

18. julian United Kingdom

julian Banned

Ok I appreciate your efforts, it just that I could have sold the domain twice now for more so bit annoying :roll:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.