Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

New site - 200 pages... Drip feed or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi All,

What would you do?

Have a new site ready to launch.
There are about 200 articles on draft.
Wondering whether to publish them all now or drip-feed them in the hope of keeping Big G interested.

Personally I would publish the 'core' information right away then drip feed the rest at a rate of say 2 articles per week over the course of 12 months. That gives you a regularly updated site which gets new pages indexed weekly..

Or if you plan to have more articles in the near future then drip feed more often - though I would vary the days and times they are published - cause you don't want it to look like a bot.

Adding new content regularly is always best.

It depends partly on what the site is about, and whether it is "timely" or "evergreen" information.

For example, if you're writing about "bicycle maintenance" then having all the material up now at launch makes it look like a very strong, go-to resource (which could get a lot of attention and links) whereas publishing an article a week ("Saddle height - finding the perfect posture", "Bicycle lights - best buys") doesn't give the same sense.

On the other hand, if it's something meant to educate (i.e. like a course) then that's the kind of format that works for timed release (This week's lesson covers X Y Z)

Finally, if it's about tech stuff, then do you dare leave stuff on the shelf for 6-12 months? Will it be out of date by then?

These are some of the things to think about. Of course, SEO is important, and the way that content builds up is one aspect of SEO. But another crucial aspect is the ability to be perceived as an "authority" (brings incoming links and, if your site is carefully structured into distinct sections, each of which is authoritative, DEEP incoming links) and that is much easier with a large site that fully covers the topic rather than a scattering of articles.

Personally I've given up trying to make Google like me.

I now focus on FB, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, email subscriptions, ....

There are other ways to drive traffic.

Admin

Thanks a lot guys.

Think I will be publishing a lot from the off but keeping a bit back for drip-feeding.

I wish you luck, I just checked my last new site (using WP) and it shows only 1 search engine query from Google Pakistan where it showed on Page 15. Defo time to stop worrying about Google for me.

Admin

It depends partly on what the site is about, and whether it is "timely" or "evergreen" information.

For example, if you're writing about "bicycle maintenance" then having all the material up now at launch makes it look like a very strong, go-to resource (which could get a lot of attention and links) whereas publishing an article a week ("Saddle height - finding the perfect posture", "Bicycle lights - best buys") doesn't give the same sense.

On the other hand, if it's something meant to educate (i.e. like a course) then that's the kind of format that works for timed release (This week's lesson covers X Y Z)

Finally, if it's about tech stuff, then do you dare leave stuff on the shelf for 6-12 months? Will it be out of date by then?

These are some of the things to think about. Of course, SEO is important, and the way that content builds up is one aspect of SEO. But another crucial aspect is the ability to be perceived as an "authority" (brings incoming links and, if your site is carefully structured into distinct sections, each of which is authoritative, DEEP incoming links) and that is much easier with a large site that fully covers the topic rather than a scattering of articles.

Great answer.

You should drip feed the content at a rate of 2-3 posts a day, its as simple as that. The subject matter of your site is irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom