Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

new to this business. opnions on my decisions.

Discussion in 'New Domainers' started by jmsbnj, Mar 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmsbnj

jmsbnj Member

I just started having a look at this industry. I regged a few domains but I've later learnt for myself that they probably arent very valuable, as theyre mostly brandable rather than key searches etc. Ah well, still learning I guess. I'd appreciate any opnions on prices and if any have any valuable and what I should do to monetize them. Here they are:

rareticket.co.uk
    raretickets.co.uk
    cardgame.tv (41.4k monthly exact searches according to estibot)
    nastynice.com
    tasterecipe.com
    tasterecipes.com
    tubelistings.com
    fuzhou.co.uk
    nagpur.co.uk

Fuzhou is a port city in southern China with a population of between 5,000,000 and 7,000,000. Average monthly search volume of 18,500 (estibot).

Nagpur is a city in India with a population of approximately 2 Million, average monthly search volume of over 50,000 (estibot).

Obviously they are .co.uk and these places arent in the uk but most other country specifics eg .de are taken for these domains, as well as all other similar sized cities having .co.uk already taken. Obviously there is a large expat community in the uk from both these countries, and the tourism industry to that part of the world I would assume is increasing. Both boom countries. Fuzhou is near some beach resorts in China and is the main port for the China - Taiwan ferry services (I believe).

Just some additional information to help anyone make me an appraisal.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

On a cursory inspection I would say cardgame.tv is the best.

The rareticket domains, what's the thinking with this? Tickets are a growth area with lots of new UK ticket affiliate programmes, so there might be some potential with your ticket domains too.

Rgds

4. jmsbnj

jmsbnj Member

thanks for your reply :)

as for the tickets, there wasnt a massive amount of thinking but i did think they sounded alright and brandable but who knows.

As for the cardgame.tv, I'm waiting to see how the premium .tv auctions go at sedo and if that sparks any interest or a boom in the .tv market because i've spotted a few others that havent been regged yet that could be good. Yes I know I run the risk of someone else regging them but I havent made a sale yet so im not going to overexpose myself.

5. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

Tip 1 - don't use estibot for anything related to .uk domains, and for search estimates always use the google keyword tool set to UK exact:

fuzhou - 720 searches last month
    nagpur - 1000 searches last month

Grant

6. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

I notice Katherine Jenkins is advertising her KJ.tv domain on national tele this morning. I think there is a great future in TV domains, a view I've held since outset ( unless Tuvalu sinks into the Ocean ).
    You seem to know what you are doing and should not find it expensive to gain experience, judging by your post.
    Newly registered names naturally rarely have an immediate value, only names that have been registered previously, so asking others to see what you anticipate can be soul destroying. Most domains need to be held a long time for high resale value, unless of course they are preregistered drops or you are extremely lucky in registering a name which aligns with a deep pocket companies immediate plans. IMO

7. jmsbnj

jmsbnj Member

Thanks for your replies and advice.

Yeah, I knew that the search volume in the uk for fuzhou/nagpur would be much lower but it was kinda just speculative and I just liked them because I'm interested in travel anyway. Might develop them at some point instead.

8. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

Actually I'd go as far as saying don't use estibot for anything, especially valuations!

Grant

9. jmsbnj

jmsbnj Member

Yeah I already guessed the estimates should be taken with a massive pinch of salt. Or else I'd be rolling in it. Guess its just to encourage people to register through them.

10. jmsbnj

jmsbnj Member

I just acquired the following domains. I know that .in probably isn't that valuable but with the population the country has I would guess this might improve.

hotelnagpur.in - 450,000 local (india) monthly searches.
    traintimetable.in - 90,500 local monthly searches, nearly 700,000 global.
    bustime.in - over 20,000 local monthly searches.
    hotelskolkata.in - 90,500 local monthly searches, 165,000 global.
    trainroute.in - 60,500 local monthly searches, 135,000 global.
    bustimetable.in - 14,800 local monthly searches, over 1.2 Million global.
    traintime.in.in - 90,500 local monthly searches, nearly 250,000 global.

Search volumes from google keyword tool this time.

Do these seem any good?

11. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

India is likely to be a very good market at some point, but I'm not really keeping an eye on it at the moment so I don't know when that day will come. I quite like your hotel domains. The other ones like the bustime ones are very ambitious in that an individual like an affiliate marketer would find it tough to make the most of them as so much investment in the domain would be needed. You might be able to make a useful sale on them though. Of the few good quality .in generics I've checked, using English words, I've always found them registered.

Rgds

12. retired_member32

retired_member32 Retired Member

hear,hear

When i enquire about domains they always come back with estibot valuations and it drives me mad...:mad:

13. Takwa United Kingdom

Takwa Well-Known Member

Few buyers offer me peanuts with esibot valuations I laughed at their face

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.