Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet Director salary increases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
It must be a hard life running a monopoly with no competition.

Chairman's salary DOUBLED from £137,000 per annum to £257000 per annum.

How very New Nominet

mjaeger said:

It's not a monopoly, It's a non profit.

If you "spend' all the money earned on salary you make no profit!!

I'm curious - assuming for a moment (thought exercise) that Nominet was in fact a for-profit company with 131 staff, a turnover in excess of 10 million pounds a year, and strong profits, how much would the CEO expect to get paid? Is the Nominet figure that much out of line?

mjaeger said:

Chairman's salary DOUBLED from £137,000 per annum to £257000 per annum.

How very New Nominet

So he earns more than the Prime Minister ! (not that I am saying the PM is worth 10p) . Well what do you expect ,after all he is a solicitor .

DG

I also find this interesting:

Academics' unions have called for an inquiry into the pay of university vice-chancellors after a survey showed 18 earn at least £200,000 a year.

The survey found more than 30 vice-chancellors can claim higher salaries than the £169,000 earned by Prime Minister Tony Blair, and that pay for university bosses increased on average by 25% between 2001-02 and 2004-05.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4788096.stm

Sign of the times ?

Whois-Search said:
I also find this interesting:

Academics' unions have called for an inquiry into the pay of university vice-chancellors after a survey showed 18 earn at least £200,000 a year.

The survey found more than 30 vice-chancellors can claim higher salaries than the £169,000 earned by Prime Minister Tony Blair, and that pay for university bosses increased on average by 25% between 2001-02 and 2004-05.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4788096.stm

Sign of the times ?

And what galls me is that some,not all, are in the job because of either who they know or how they present themselves (you know more BS than brains).Honestly it does P you off to see it . So this chairman of Nominet has walked into a job and his salary has doubled, for what making no profit ???.
I tell you when I make millions I am going to give mine to some charity or other not squander it like some of them do (well apart from few thousand domains).

DG

Edwin said:
I'm curious - assuming for a moment (thought exercise) that Nominet was in fact a for-profit company with 131 staff, a turnover in excess of 10 million pounds a year, and strong profits, how much would the CEO expect to get paid? Is the Nominet figure that much out of line?

I don't think so. Nominet needs good management and so it will have to pay the going rate for it. Can't see a problem myself.

Hazel
www.NOTnominet.org.uk

Who sets the Chairman's remuneration? In listed companies these things have to get shareholder approval, do Nominet members have similar rights?

Rgds

Accelerator

Hazel Pegg said:
I don't think so. Nominet needs good management and so it will have to pay the going rate for it. Can't see a problem myself.

Hazel
www.NOTnominet.org.uk

I agree. However I think that you are missing the point.

The Patent Office and Companies House are 10 times the size of Nominet, are more complex agencies - and pay their top execs around £100K. Nominet pays over a quarter of a million to its Chairman and £400K in total to the two top execs.

Is that really needed to run a domain registry? Not really, unless of course they need to have IPO and other skills to bring to the party! :twisted:

Increases are usually voted on by the directors, usually rubber stamped without much if any objection.

I really cant see what he does for the money - is nominet a public company?

I know we're all basically desk tied but nominet must have some public interface. from this forum alone its easy to see that power users think that the system does not perform to a level where a director should be patting himself on the back.

the only change i've noticed is the useless paper certs. have gone pink! and from what i read the registration system has changed to favour the multiple TAG holders.

when this job comes up next time - i'm putting my name forward!

I am sure you cant be a limited by gaurantee company and be floated on LSE

olebean said:
I am sure you cant be a limited by gaurantee company and be floated on LSE

Quite true - but as I see it there is nothing in the new Mem and Arts to prevent them either winding up the present company and moving the assets into a clean shell company limited by shares - or doing an ICANN-Verisign and moving valuable assets into a seperate entity leaving Nominet as the ICANN part. Unless I'm missing something...

Beasty

Its odd you should say that, it had go through my mine to have a further nosey at the current directors "directorships"...

he doesn't need anyone to buy domains

£257000 = 42,833 new domain registers per year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom