Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet internal network latency increase ?

Discussion in 'Drop catching Domain Names' started by ukdomains, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ukdomains United Kingdom

ukdomains Active Member

Hi Guys

I am seeing a increase in latency lately the third line in my traceroute has increased from 3ms to 8ms which is when the query is return's to my server.

Anyone else seen a increase in latency ?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Well-Known Member

Difficult to comment without knowing the route as I get different routes through Nominet from different hosts, happy for you to PM the trace rather than post if you'd like a comparison from one of my boxes.

4. davedevelopment

davedevelopment Well-Known Member

I don't mind posting a portion of mine for comparison, it's not the quickest but it does me for now.

3 fe1-3-nom-col1.nominet.org.uk (193.203.5.52) 0.844 ms 0.831 ms 1.063 ms
    4 host-213-248-206-10.nominet.org.uk (213.248.206.10) 1.441 ms 1.429 ms 1.415 ms
    5 host-213-248-206-1.nominet.org.uk (213.248.206.1) 8.466 ms 8.451 ms 8.440 ms

5. monaghan United Kingdom

I'm hitting host-213-248-206-1.nominet.org.uk (213.248.206.1) between 8.1 & 8.6ms presently from my London based servers and between 9.2 & 9.5 from a Maidenhead Linux box and 9 from a Maidenhead Windows box.

I've seen similiar figures for quite a while and presume once we get into Nominet that we are all equal (but of course we may not be).

6. ukdomains United Kingdom

ukdomains Active Member

Hi Guys

I am really puzzled why it has increased to 8ms . My script can catch domains but any domain i go for on domainlore i never seem to catch.

3 host-213-248-206-1.nominet.org.uk (213.248.206.1) 8.034 ms 8.079 ms 8.155

7. ukdomains United Kingdom

ukdomains Active Member

I don't think equality exists lol

At least its not only me lol i was think why has it increased in one month to 8ms lol

Thanks Guys appreciate your responses :)

8. davedevelopment

Like monaghan said, it doesn't really matter. Your latency to Nominet's border router is what counts, we should all be roughly equal thereafter.

9. monaghan United Kingdom

I have differing routes within Nominet's outer network to host-213-248-206-1.nominet.org.uk (213.248.206.1) from different hosts but all routes end up here and at a similiar response time.

10. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

Mate, you need to let this obsession with Nominets network go :) There's nothing you can do about it and everyone is in the same boat.

Grant

11. ukdomains United Kingdom

ukdomains Active Member

I know what you mean however i just want to catch one domain from domainlore advance bidding website

12. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

You'll need to be looking at your script and your own network up to Nominet then I guess :)

Grant

13. DaveH United Kingdom

DaveH Active Member

These ones are probably the most competitive too...

14. monaghan United Kingdom

Anyone noticed a change in the route through Nominet?

I'm bouncing all over the place at the moment

host-213-248-206-9.nominet.org.uk (213.248.206.9)
    host-213-248-206-30.nominet.org.uk (213.248.206.30)
    host-213-248-225-25.nominet.org.uk (213.248.225.25)
    host-213-248-206-33.nominet.org.uk (213.248.206.33)

15. retired_member12

retired_member12 Retired Member

And whilst the matter of Nominet IPs has been mentioned, I've lots of monitored visits of staff IPs through 213.248.196.xxx, but was wondering what they use 213.248.204.xxx for, if anyone knows?

16. retired_member26

retired_member26 Banned

1. Cathing is not related to server speed.
    2. DomainLore statistically has more chance against you since it has its clones including some of the posters of this post. Basically you are fighting against a group of people with canons while you have a revolver in hand. Probability is that for every second a domain lore clone is on against you.
    3. He has a solid script which is probably twisted for some tricks.
    4. After nominet switch it is a black box so what matters is time up to the switch.

PS: to what adress are you tcptraceroute? EPP, DAC?

17. essexboy

essexboy Active Member

Could someone please explain turnics post in stupid speak?
    What is domainlores advantage?

Most peoples scripts will work the same way in as much as you can hit the dac at optimum speed. Yes you'll run out of allowance but if your hitting when the domain drops why would they have more chance?

As for routing, again most use the same few companies for their servers so no advantage there.

That leaves any tricks being first inthe queue for epp or pgp which again most will know.
    Or if there's any drop patterns which again will soon get around.

Or am I talking rubbish?

18. davedevelopment

I'd say they do definitely have an advantage, simply because they have a better success rate than others with the top names. I don't know what it is, if I did, I'd be catching the top names too.

19. monaghan United Kingdom

Perhaps the advantage is just sheer number of combined DL TAGs able to hit the DAC? Without wanting this thread to descend into a DL bashing, but as long as one of the TAG's is able to catch the domain then DL gain financially whereas individual catchers only gain if they are the 1 that gets the catch.

I'm prepared to be corrected, but I can't see an obvious pattern, I've looked at reg time, expiry time, suspend time and drop time on a range of names on my TAG and there's no obvious link between the times. I've also looked at successful catches and each time I see a pattern something else will drop or get caught out of that pattern :(

20. philipp United Kingdom

philipp Active Member

I guess if you have access to a bunch of memberships DL-stylee then you can evenly space your requests through each second to get maximum coverage and best likelihood of success.

Kind of rules out the individual operators, doesn't it?

P.

21. armistice

armistice Active Member

If they do evenly space requests they are breaking Nominets terms on Anti-avoidance and Connected Persons.

The only way DL can be within nominets terms is for each 'registrar' to be completely independant and the software to be isolated for each.
    Definately no collusion, spacing of requests, scheduling of usage.

Whether DL are within Nominets terms is impossible to know without seeing the code or logs which neither DL nor NOM are likely to make available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.