Not what you want from a weekend away

Discussion in 'General Board' started by alex, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alex

alex Active Member

I was visiting my parents this weekend and had to cut it short as I received a call this morning that our flat had been broken into. Aside from wrecking a window, they went off with my partner's laptop as well as a few items of jewellery/watches etc.

I had previously felt that our house was pretty secure and each window is double locked. Seems they only needed a crowbar and a little effort to break in so I guess this is a warning to you to double check your security and back up your data!

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. mattyr45 United Kingdom

mattyr45 Active Member

4. Blossom

Blossom Well-Known Member

Shit, that's horrible. Even more than the stuff it's the violation that someone's been in your home :(

5. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

It's horrible when that happens. Someone smashed a living room window trying to get into my old place a few years back. Luckily, there was a latch that was tricky to open so they gave up. The police told me they'd be unlikely to return, but I sat in wait for days after hoping/dreading that they might. Slept in the living room and everything.

6. alex

alex Active Member

Yeah, it’s a funny feeling, first that people went through out stuff, but also will it happen again? Last Saturday two people broke into the flat next door and were scared off when our neighbour arrived back home. This seems to be a very similar incident - same people maybe?

7. Pred

Pred Well-Known Member

never rains but it pours, literally
    very sorry to hear this

make sure you change all passwords to everything
    also I would seriously consider getting a very good alarm system, very soon
    if renting, consider moving as sounds neighbourhood is not safe

8. alex

alex Active Member

Thanks for the support, and thanks to the other posters too.

I've been on to the landlord pushing for an an alarm and CCTV which are not that expensive these days. As for the area, I'm told this has been an unlucky week for people. Everyone else in the surrounding flats have been here years and these are the first ever issues they've had. I was actually recommended the place by my cousin's husband who lived here for 10 years. It's just a pain it's happened now since we only moved here last month.

Good point about the passwords.

9. Pred

Pred Well-Known Member

unfortunately, sign of the times

it's a balance with flats, you don't want to live in a fortress as in event of a fire (God forbid) people actually want to get in and out! so window bars etc are not good and door guards

again with flats, worth going above ground or basement level reduces chance of being broke into when choosing a flat

if you only just moved in then there for 6 months at least, and prob much longer, lets hope was a one off spate and police catch scum who did it

in meantime might be worth fitting good windowlocks and extra door lock and say to landlord you will pay 50% and he can match it or else you will give 1 months notice and adios if not

also without over worrying you as hope just kids who broke in but if they tried neighbours too and came back it is not unheard off criminals break back in in a number of weeks once people replace stolen goods, I have read, so I would certainly cancel any overnight business trips etc for coming weeks if your partner lives with you and get security devices added asap

again don't want to worry you but just saying what I would be thinking/doing

good luck

10. alex

alex Active Member

Cheers for the advice and yes definitely going forward with the extra security precautions etc. I've lived in far worse places (shootings/stabbings right outside the house) so this hasn't really phased us that much, but is a total inconvenience, especially as we're going to have excessive insurance premiums next year. We live in an old Victorian house split into 7 flats so wasn't really built for the modern thief. If something good has happened it's that we now know the neighbours :D

11. Pred

Pred Well-Known Member

yep, you have to take in stride

i've heard of people setting up their own cctv in home and then handing recording to police when robber is swanning round their house :)

however not sure how it works if they nick laptop or dvd recorder :confused:

anyone care to enlighten?

might be a good idea, don't tell girlfriend, then you can keep tabs see if she's keeping up with housework and washing up when not there :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.