Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Notebook advice

Discussion in 'General Board' started by TinkyWinky, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TinkyWinky United States

TinkyWinky Well-Known Member

Hi Guys

Want to get a notebook purely for holidays - being in touch - flying down to Lond for 2 days etc. i.e. don't want hassle of full laptop.

Need a good battery life - good screen - good processor - and that's about it. Don't need all whistles and bells - got better things to do than keep config-ing everythgin when they go wrong.

So anyone got a good one - money not an issue - but every penny saved is beer money ;)

Cheers
    TW

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. ScottJ United Kingdom

ScottJ Well-Known Member

I have a netbook & laptop but find the ipad perfect for keeping in touch during short jaunts, light, portable, good battery life and quick to access the net when needed without having to boot up and down.

4. chrisduggan United Kingdom

chrisduggan Active Member

iPad... / second user iPad can be picked up cheap.

If you would be happier with a Windows then for battery life probably the Asus eee pc or a Samsung. Though the Dell mini 10 is a fantastic netbook @ sub £250. To be honest they are all in such competition with each other it all comes down to what you like the look and feel of. Most of them are in the same price bracket £199-349, if you can afford more get an ipad, if money really is no object there are some stunning slimline Sony ones to drool over.

Beer is most important, grab a cheapy.

5. retired_member32

retired_member32 Retired Member

keep to the ipad !!! i own the dell mini 10 and am so dissapointed ,it struggles with the simplest of tasks and the 1.6ghz atom processor is shockingly bad

in fact i only use it for checking how my site looks (compatability) :D

Good luck in your search

6. techtimmy

techtimmy Active Member

get a tablet, much better for your needs

7. Frog

Frog Active Member

If I was buying a laptop purely with traveling in mind, I think it would need to be the 11 inch macbook Air.

All the convenience of being a Mac, extremely light and with a real keyboard, I think its a significantly better choice than an ipad. Its a real laptop, not a toy like the ipad...

8. techtimmy

techtimmy Active Member

oops double post

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  9. jimm United Kingdom

jimm Active Member

I own an iPad, Netbook and Notebook (multiple of the last two ;) ).
    The iPad is great for general browsing and entertaining me and short bursts of work but anything substantial needs the Netbook. I rarely travel with my netbook though, unless there is a specific business need.

If I had £500 to spend I would get an iPad, I had a shed load of cash just so spend for the hell of it I would buy the top 11"MBA for about £1250.

10. TinkyWinky United States

TinkyWinky Well-Known Member

Cheers guys - just really want something lite, good battery etc for emails and **URGENT** (read essential) TSC activity.

Not really intrested in the iPad to be honest.

Saw a few this Christmas - Dell and Asus - nothgin stood out - hence the advice gratefully received.

Cheers
    TW

11. peter_w United Kingdom

peter_w Active Member

My MSI Wind is solid as a rock for general browsing and whatnot. Picked it up for £150 in an Argos Clearance sale.

12. binny

binny Active Member

I got an MSI Wind a couple of years ago, doubled the ram to 2 Gig and clocked it 25% using an MSI app, its still going strong and is pretty fast on Chrome. It is an Atom CPU though and don't expect too much from Atoms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.