Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

nursery-furniture-sets.co.uk

Discussion in 'Domain Appraisals' started by MatBrummitt, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MatBrummitt United Kingdom

MatBrummitt Active Member

Afternoon all,

I would like to know what you guys think this domain is worth? Here's what I think:

1) Nursery sets are not cheap - they range from around £600 to many thousands of pounds.

2) 3,600 UK monthly exacts or 6,600 phrase matches.

3) Nobody searches for this stuff online without intent to buy - it's not like they think "shall i treat myself to a nursery set this month" - they are looking because they have a little one (or two) on the way, making the traffic highly qualified and likely to convert.

4) 10 or more major brands selling quality products and each with multiple furniture sets and styles.

5) Lots of well-known online and high street stores with affiliate programs offering up to 6% commission on sales.

The above points lead me to believe this domain has a lot of value, particularly the point that most of the traffic will be people looking to spend money, not just window shopping.

What do you guys think? I am possibly going to build a site for this or just sell the domain and i'm not sure what to do.

Thanks

Mat

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. MatBrummitt United Kingdom

any feedback would be much appreciated!

4. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

Purely from a domainers (non-developers)selling point of view. It's that extra word "sets" that takes it out of the realm of being valuable.

I appreciate it's a 'used' third word,. But, it really adds no definition to your two key words and probably can be substituted reasonably easily for anybody keen to go down the "Nursery furniture" route without paying a premium to a registrant of a domain.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  5. cc976a United Kingdom

cc976a Well-Known Member

+1 - the double hyphen really is a knock back, but the word sets was the finishing blow

If it does have the exacts you say you may find £100 for it on the strength of that, but as Bailey says, there are other domains that could be used instead

If you want more I'd suggest going with your route of developing, earning off and selling for x months worth if profit - rather than strength of name

6. wb

wb Well-Known Member

Don't like the double hyphen, but the word 'sets' is perfectly fine.

Plenty of furniture retailers offer 'sets' (e.g. cot, wardrobe and drawers etc) and they aren't usually cheap.

What could you use instead of the word 'sets' to mean the same thing? Perhaps 'packages' or 'roomsets', although neither of those are perfectly matched to a typical buyer's mind. :?

7. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

Fair enough - after a minute or twos ground work, I just picked-up the .com (I'll see the original poster -GOOD) if it sells.

Yeah it looked slightly better with the .net /.org taken(and a google auto-fill check). If it weren't me somebody would have taking it.

"Nursery-furniture.com" is only up for £600 though

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  8. MatBrummitt United Kingdom

Thanks all for the feedback. If as you say, £100 is all it might be worth then I guess developing the site is the preferred option. I did start designing a site before posting, but thought I should get an opinion first before spending any more time on it.

Bailey, nice one on the .com - I wasn't sure from your comment if you were offering to sell me it or not. Based on comments above I would be more inclined to go ahead and develop the site. As a new parent I currently have interest in this kind of stuff so developing a site about nursery furniture won't be as boring as it sounds :)

Surprisingly the global exacts for the phrase aren't all that high really but nevertheless I feel like a plonker for not having reg'ed it.

Thanks again

Mat

9. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

Thanks Mat, I did think twice about the etiquette of registering the domain, but even in my 12+ years in domains, it's not often you see three good extensions taken and the .com sitting there. - (I blame WB for making me look twice at the term)

Of course i looked at the search ratios before registering, and your right it's not a big term outside the UK. (but i'm still very much a .com is king person)

The domain itself dosen't hold much for me. Very few domains really do anything for me - hence i tend to get stalked for my drops. I would like to park it for a couple of months just to see if it theres any income to be had.

My comment about selling was ment to mean if it sells only seems right to send half of it your way.

My motivation for domaining has never really been about money (though having enough is nice)- I just like being Smart and right. And that includes listening to others and seeing if their judgement stands-up. And then jumping-in if it's sound - besides we are only talking £6.

10. MatBrummitt United Kingdom

Fair enough, and fair play for reg'ing it. That's kind of you to offer half of a sales price, but I wouldn't feel right accepting anything for it. How about you park the domain as you say, see how that goes and then if you decide to sell the name in a few months time, drop me a PM and let me have first refusal - by then I should have my developed site running on the .co.uk with traffic and I can make a decision to buy it or not then.

In your experience is parking domains a worthwhile thing to do? We have some excellent domains and i've parked one or two in the past and haven't really seen any income from it. That was with SEDO parking. Also, how does google feel about parked domains? I'd appreciate your insights.

Thanks again

Mat

11. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

Parking tends to give you mixed fortunes in my exerience. In the most, i don't think it's good for the domains ranking. (but if it had none to start with - why not).

Income - well it needs to be expertly optimised and fairly popular to make anything like a decent shilling. However the two pluses I've always worked to are: -

1. parking lots of domains, each for little adds up.

2. No matter what the experts or frequency tables tell you about a "Virgin" domain - your never going to get better raw (type-in) data than Parking stats,

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.