Domain Manage

Olympic ban on keywords

Discussion in 'General Board' started by admin, Sep 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. admin Spain

admin Administrator Staff Member

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. charlie

charlie Well-Known Member

i wonder how much lottery money went into sorting that out

Citius.co.uk is available!! anyone :)

4. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

Interesting article. I've got a couple of 2012 domains registered for future 'legitimate' purposes with business associates including 2012recruit (for which I've already received offers!) for bringing together construction workers and businesses in the next few year.

I don't believe this contravenes the word combinations noted in the articles, but it's still a bit vague what is supposed to be a contravention.

Legitimate businesses not directly associated should be able to benefit from the opportunities so long as they don't directly use the registered trademarks of 'London 2012'

S

5. charlie

charlie Well-Known Member

available 2 word combinations
    taken 2 word combinations

6. retired_member30

retired_member30 Retired Member

Thanks for posting that link Admin. I had to read it twice to take in what was being said. I can understand the need to protect the word 'olympics' and the olympics logo but legislation to protect the use of a range of words including '2012' and 'summer'... but it's true. This New Labour government hates business and private enterprise and that is the only reason for this legislation. So it appears a Hotel business in London will be banned from advertising its services using the words 'Hotels in London 2012' - it gets worse though - it appears that the words 'summer 2012' will be banned despite the fact that domains like summer2005, are used every year to advertise holidays and the like - it's ludicrous and a sign of the dictatorial government we now live under. It's also a big kick in the teeth for all the businesses up and down our land that supported the bid and now find that they are barred totally from advertising their services in relation to the Games. I don't suppose communist China will have laws as draconian as this for their games. I can understand Tessa Jowell being behind this legislation, but you would have thought that the former Tory MP and Chairman of the Bid - Lord Coe would have fought tooth and nail against this attack on British private enterprise and our way of life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.