Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Open letter to Kieren McCarthy Re: Nominet

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by Whois-Search, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hazel Pegg

Hazel Pegg Active Member

How many of these characters are members of Nominet and how many use 123-Reg or another Registrar?

I accept that no-one here has any control over anyone else here. But I seem to recall more than a little support on this forum for Simon Bezant (aka Sneezy Cheese) when he stood for the Nominet PAB. That'll be the same Simon Bezant who registered sundeckvip.co.uk? - http://www.nic.uk/digitalAssets/8155_sundeckvip.pdf

Not to mention the support on here for Jim Davies. Not a domainer himself, but certainly a man with an agenda and a man not averse to giving legal advice to those involved in Nominet DRS proceedings.

You might not think that you are associated with 'these characters' but that is not how it looks from the outside.

I'm pleased to read that.

Hazel

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. retired_member12

retired_member12 Retired Member

Well, from the point of view of dropcatchers at least, almost every effective dropcatcher in the land is a member of Nominet, end of story. There is very little 'cream' left behind once Nominet members have mopped up the more effective daily drops. In fact, if it wasn't for the advantages that a Nominet membership brings, you wouldn't have dropcatching in its current form anyway. Until UK Gov gets involved, Nominet membership is the goose that lays those golden eggs!

...From the outside?

4. GreyWing

GreyWing Well-Known Member

I'd say very very few, maybe a handful are members. If you look at places like eBay, it's full of TM infringements and none of them are members. This place has a higher amount of members and zero tm's from what I see.

I don't know too much about Simon to be honest, I have spoken to him once about things over a year ago and not sure what he holds domain wise.

But with regards the points you raise with support for him and I don't recall his election campaign, if there was one. But I doubt most people who gave him there support would have been even aware of the DRS case, never mind going through it all and coming to a judgement. Maybe they were also giving him their support for making an effort into an unpaid job and contributing to Nominet. Without seeing I personally would have no way of knowing.

You can't judge Jim for giving out legal advice or associate him with his clients problems. Otherwise every barrister who defended a murderer in court would be up on a charge.

Everyone is entitled to legal advice and for example we don't know how many people Jim tells to just "let the name go".

5. Hazel Pegg

Hazel Pegg Active Member

Outside of the domaining or dropcatching world.

Hazel

6. Hazel Pegg

Hazel Pegg Active Member

True. That was not a good example on my part.

Hazel

7. Whois-Search

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

Questions for Hazel

Hazel,

1. What is your fixation with Simon and Jim? Isn't that history now?

Both have statements by Nominet online:

January 2009: http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/latest/?contentId=5966
    May 2009: http://www.nic.uk/digitalAssets/41686_May_PAB_meeting_report.pdf

Simon even has a line in the company accounts see page 34:
    http://www.nic.uk/digitalAssets/43343_report-and-accounts2009.pdf

So what more do you want?

2. I see your seconding two candidates in the election....which two candidates do you wish to win and why?

3. I see other candidates have some very interesting seconders - why you not asking them questions?

Cheers,

Andrew

8. sneezycheese

sneezycheese Active Member

...Hazel, you seem to have the impression to me that the DRS is the 'law of the land' as it stands for domain names, and Nominet 'never gets it wrong' - please be advised (again) that the company in question got an official Harrasment Warning from the Police, have now been struck of the Companies House Register and if you were to check the Nominet Whois DB I am the registrant of the aformentioned domain. :wink:

So stick that in your pipe and smoke it, and I hope I don't see you at Glastonbury this year! :mrgreen:

Rgds,

T.R.H. Mr. Cheese :p

9. Hazel Pegg

Hazel Pegg Active Member

I'm not standing for election so don't need to answer any questions. I just ask them.

Hazel

10. Hazel Pegg

Hazel Pegg Active Member

I'll take your word for that. I did note that the DRS expert said:

"Both parties in their submissions to the Expert made extreme personal attacks on one another, bringing into question each other’s business practices and professionalism."

Hazel

11. Whois-Search

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

Hazel,

You haven't been doing that though...

What you have been doing is following me about five places on the web constantly trying to link me to other people. You called it snapping at my heels on the Nominet forum?

So either take your concerns up with these people individually or stop trying to link us all together.

Andrew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.