Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Opinions welcome

Discussion in 'Website Reviews' started by fletchbog, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fletchbog United Kingdom

fletchbog Active Member

Hi there I have a semi-established motoring blog/help site for a hot hatch.

I'm after opinions in general on how to improve the site, be that aesthetically, or functionally.

Ideally I could do with ideas on how to improve the monetisation of the site.

Cheers!

http://www.106gti.co.uk

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. fletchbog United Kingdom

fletchbog Active Member

Should also mention I'm planning on ditching the Adsense...

4. Banana

Banana Active Member

Very aesthetically pleasing :)

Although I have no real interest in cars ( especially french ones ;) ), I found it a really good read. Lots of potential imho. Nice job.

The category links are useful. Maybe flip that and have it above the GTis for sale. And a bit more info about you and what the sites aims are.

How are people finding your site at the moment? What search terms (keywords) are directing people to your site (apart from peugeot 106 ofc) ? And why are you planning to ditch adsense?

5. richrf

richrf Active Member

Hi,

It's fine but if you want to improve upon it, I would look at other successful auto blogs like this one: http://www.autoblog.com/

Their font is lighter and roomier. The color palette is bolder and more Web 2.0. Round instead of square corners, etc. If you are using WordPress, you might be able to find a brighter, action oriented theme that may be able to give the blog a bit more spunk.

Hope this helps,

Rich

6. vizzo United Kingdom

vizzo Active Member

Nice content but to me it looks a little old fashioned and too conservative. Blue is a safe, conservative colour. Not the feel that you're looking to associate with a 106Gti!!!

Definitely worth having a look at some different themes. I think you will keep visitors to your site with a bit more wow factor.

7. fletchbog United Kingdom

fletchbog Active Member

All good ideas thanks. Yes French cars. it's a love and a hate thing :)

People are mainly finding it through Google.

Keyword wise these are the main hits:
    106 gti
    peugeot 106 gti
    106gti
    106 gti mpg

After that it's lots of terms like 106 gti engine and 106 gti change brakes.

I planned on ditching Adsense because the adverts don't seem to be very relevant, I don't get many clicks at all.

8. fletchbog United Kingdom

fletchbog Active Member

Thanks richrf and vizzo, I agree a acelift is definitely needed, I'm just unsure of what layout to go for.

9. vizzo United Kingdom

vizzo Active Member

As for adsense, have you tried experimenting with different positioning/ad sizes/colour schemes? In terms of relevance remember that if you are logged into Google, they will display ads that to some extent reflect on your browsing history and so you may not be seeing the same kind of ads as other people.

10. fletchbog United Kingdom

fletchbog Active Member

I blended the adsense colours into the sidebar so they used the same colours and fonts. Tried adding an ad into the post content, tried horizontal ads, all recieving poor clicks. Does better on another site of mine, maybe just the subject does not translate well to Adsense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.