Domain Manage

paypal chargeback

Discussion in 'General Board' started by mojoco, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mojoco United Kingdom

mojoco Well-Known Member

I paid £450 for a domain on 20th February using paypal and never received the transfer documents. I requested a paypal chargeback but got no where.

Here is the paypal response.

"Thank you for registering your complaint about this transaction. Unfortunately, this type of transaction is not eligible for PayPal dispute resolution. We encourage you to continue to work directly with your seller, as we have found that many misunderstandings reach amicable solutions through communication. "

The seller is an Acorn member who has not responded to emails or PM's.

What is my best course of action?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

If nothing else, then at the very least name the member so that others can avoid him/her. If they're an established participant, the added pressure of being "outed" might help them make good on the transaction.

4. ScottJ United Kingdom

ScottJ Well-Known Member

Agreed, also did you pay from a card through paypal or from funds, if it's funded through a card you may be able to dispute receipt of goods through them and chargeback.

5. DaveH United Kingdom

DaveH Active Member

I just hope it isn't domainmonster.

6. mally United Kingdom

mally Well-Known Member

Raise it through your bank card company that you paid with..

I don't see problems like that on here very often which is good. Make sure you mark the users reputation to reflect what happens!!

If he's done it fraudulently inform the police!

7. mat United Kingdom

mat Well-Known Member

Its annoying isnt it that criminals and scammers seem to chargeback on paypal so easily but when the good honest person comes to do it paypal dont want to know.

8. zee United Kingdom

zee Well-Known Member

chargeback

surely, if you had another account,just to use for paypal reciepts and payments and just kept £1 float in account with NO automatic overdraft, any drawback would be automatically refused without penalty to you, so no money could be taken.....or am I wrong.
    ps have used above for 4 years with no problem...and no request for payback from paypal..zee

9. woopwoop United States

woopwoop Well-Known Member

can nominet do anything at all in this type of situation.

Like at least prevent the domain from being transfered to another party. At least if the domain could be isolated, or frozen, then the buyer has the paper trail of transfering the funds and the emails for the agreement of the sale.

There would also be the paper trail of the funds going to the sellers account.

I guess that the main problem would come if the seller who he paid didn't really own the domain.

Good luck anyway. Sometimes things do happen which slows sellers down so maybe it'll all work out :confused:

10. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

sorry to hear this problem o/p is having
    touch wood never happened to me either
    as i understand it, and sadly you read a lot of these threads, it's only if someone has paid via card can they do a chargeback, that's why people request payment from paypal funds as a payment option, apart from fact that if it is a normal account there is no receiveing charge either for the seller also
    i would 'out' the user too, only option

unforyunately not, sure i have read before that in a cicumstance like this paypal take from your registered card/account or leave a negative balance and then come after you.
    it really is an area that needs tightening up for those small - middle size payments from people or to people you don't really know

i have paid for domains beofre with paypal in the $xx,xxx range as i knew the seller was established and me too but problems come with strangers or users with no rep i guess

good luck

11. mojoco United Kingdom

mojoco Well-Known Member

I have paid for several names using paypal without a hitch. I have posted cheques to strangers based on gut feeling and not had a problem.

The seller in this case was a Senior Acorn member and had around 700 posts. I can't believe someone is so stupid to trash their reputation for £450.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for another week. Just in case he has a good reason for his actions, ie: hospitalisation or some serious life drama.

Although I very much doubt that is the case as he was still posting on here as recently as 24th April.

After a week I will publicly out him on this board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.