Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Penguin update synopsis

Discussion in 'SEO Search Engine Optimisation' started by dougs, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vizzo United Kingdom

vizzo Active Member

When we're looking for causes and solutions, (partly based on previous updates) i think there are some things to remember:

1. Some good sites seem to get hit with little or no apparent reason

2. some rubbish sites seem to come through unscathed

3. For every hypothesis, there will be exceptions that seem to disprove it

4. It's easy to make generalisations

5. Google think they're clever, but their algos seem to be a very blunt instrument

6. Google are becoming masters of spin

7. Don't be smug if you didn't get hit - it could be you next time!

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. philiporchard United Kingdom

philiporchard Well-Known Member

What are EMDs?

4. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

@ Philip, EMD = exact match domain/s

5. dougs United Kingdom

dougs Well-Known Member

dont be smug

People have been doing negative seo on smug people.....

We have gone from a world of building to a world of destroying....dont be evil...

Doug

6. philiporchard United Kingdom

philiporchard Well-Known Member

hmmm you'd think that's something I should know!

It's all very odd... some of our domains are still sitting on p1 for the city name... one was dumped onto p16. All run from same platform, same internal linking - main difference can only really be the links in...

Harlow for example is ranking at 5 in G.
    Webmaster tools shows 114 sites linking in.

I can see that some businesses have linked to internal pages such as /photographers/ and some to /web-designers/ e.g. bottom of easykey.net.

However, for the site that was dumped, I can see that most of the links are from daemonlinks.com. No idea what this is, but just the name doesn't sound good. This is generating 91 links to various pages of my site.

What can you do when sites seem to auto generate links to various pages in your sites? It would be nice to have the option of discounting these links in Webmaster tools.

7. chippyb United Kingdom

chippyb Active Member

I had the same thing to one of my sites called updowner, was loads of links to all pages, think it was meant to be some sort of search engine, i just emailed them asking to remove me and they did, but that's only a start, what about comments how do u go about removing those ?

8. dougs United Kingdom

dougs Well-Known Member

its 1998

Google has basically been reset and loads of links no longer count.

Loads of cash to be made now by people who can find the serps that are none agressive and get links in place:)

Doug spoilt for choice

9. retired_member34

retired_member34 Retired Member

But what sort of links?

10. dougs United Kingdom

dougs Well-Known Member

what sort of links

Oh come on...what do you think? Do you want me to do it for you?

You wont see this opportunity again in Google world.

Doug
    Ps. Sorry but I am not going to look at peoples sites. I am happy to post what we learn and what we are doing but I am not going to do the work for you:)

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  11. JMOT

JMOT Active Member

Roll up Roll up. Doug is now offering his SEO services to acorn users and has appointed me his agent.

Doug will:

Tell you what to do onsite
    Tell you where to get bags of quality links
    Tell you what niches are wide open now

Limited offer. 5 users only. £10k a go.

PM me for payment details.

Edit. This is a joke btw.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  12. retired_member34

retired_member34 Retired Member

I'll rephrase the question, I don't want to you to do it for me and reading your updated first post I think you have already answered it.

My question related to anchor text. I put up a few reasonable links with keyword anchor text and promptly saw the page fall front page to second in G for that keyword, without affecting it for others.

I wasn't sure next to try sitename anchor text or sitename keyword combos. I figured it was partly an anchor text over optimisation problem as in my small niche a lot more branded sites have appeared in the serps, with consequently varied link profiles.

13. dougs United Kingdom

dougs Well-Known Member

ha ha Tom

As you know the stuff I am quotins is not being tested by me, but by our staff.

I am but a messenger.

Doug

14. dashu1 United Kingdom

dashu1 Well-Known Member

Okay, well having spent a few days looking at various sites in various niches (especially the tough niches) I *think* I *might* have a solution...

...but accept that I also might not.

By way of an experiment to test this out I have taken an old site of mine that used to rank between 3rd & 10th on page 1 of G, and that disappeared out of the top 1000 on the 24th.

The home page still isn't in the top 1000, the site is an org uk and is related to the menopause, specifically to the symptoms of it :D

Hope that tells you what the site is, I obviously don't want to post it's URL here.

Anyway, i've made a few adjustments to see what happens, and I have a list of another 4 changes that I will make if there's no response within a week or so.

If the site comes back I'll tell you all what I've done.

Fingers crossed and all that.

15. addz123 United Kingdom

addz123 Active Member

The problem with trying to fix your site with this update is that we don't know whether sites will come back or not.

a) If I remove bad links will my site come back?
    b) Is this a continuous algorithm or is it re-run once a month like Panda?
    c) It's impossible to remove a lot bad links anyway (e.g. banned digitalforum link sellers, automated links, xrumer, senuke etc)
    d) Even if I remove bad links, there might be a 3 month penalty, which makes it very hard to analyse short term fixes.
    e) What did this update even target in the first place? There's lots of spam sites still ranking. Both Pat's SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com site and his competitor's SecurityGuardTraining-HQ.com (which uses tons of blog network links and spun articles) are still ranking top.
    f) This is an algorithmic update. There is no reinclusion request.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  16. dashu1 United Kingdom

dashu1 Well-Known Member

Well that's the point of experimenting, to see whether it's a penalty or an algorithmic change.

My gut feeling is that for most sites it's algorithmic and that there will consequently be a work around to it.

It's better than sitting here speculating, we need to see what happens not try and guess.

17. addz123 United Kingdom

addz123 Active Member

Well, personally I'm just going to restart a few projects, take the content down, and upload it all on new domain, then change the high quality links around over time.

I think Google has always been strict when it comes to penalties and I can't see any short term solution to this. It's better to start a clean slate with Google imo then spend months tinkering with your site or waiting for someone from SearchEngineLand.com to provide the answer.

I'm not critical of your methods, this is just my personal opinion on my sites.

18. vizzo United Kingdom

vizzo Active Member

I've made some fairly minor changes to one site in terms of keyword density (which was already below 3%) and some incoming links. I have also added anew page and will monitor how that works.I will now stop tinkering and see what happens.

I am now building two further sites in the same niche - one I will be a bit more aggressive with in terms of incoming links and keyword density etc and one very low key - and again I'll then see what happens

One other site i have which was hit and was fairly strong with keywords and interlinking, I am going to really tone the keywords right down and see what happens. It's an EMD with keywords that are rarely used together, so relatively easy to rank, so I think this may tell me a lot.

19. dougs United Kingdom

dougs Well-Known Member

Genius by Google

So what wil happen going forward:

The brands and agencies will be scared of doing agressive seo.

The agressive online players who have good inhouse teams will have a field day picking up the rankings.

The cost of getting real quality links will rise.

The dirty networks will not reappear...unless for negative seo.

All the crap will be gone and it will be hard to rank crap.

In a year the serps will be dominated by the brands and by the "clever" companies with good inhouse seo teams

Doug

20. crazihos Spain

crazihos Active Member

Based on their current algo it will also be very hard to rank good! lol

Russ

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  21. Stas France

Stas Active Member

Does anyone have a clue whether penguin will be re-run and updated periodically, like panda, or is it live ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.