Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

People & Romance

Discussion in 'Domain Appraisals' started by Alien, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I've recently purchased People.org.uk and Romance.org.uk - two very fine generic .org.uk's which I'm very excited to be developing. :D

I've got lots of plans to develop both - the obvious thing for Romance is the dating angle, but I perhaps wanted to veer away from this and develop a romance book site (now according to the better half, these are very popular!) or around romantic holidays, etc, etc.

As for People.org.uk - I'd like to partner with a bit of a people directory site or serve a 192 style kind of directory etc. Or perhaps the Social Networking route, not sure.

Any thoughts and ideas welcome.

Thanks. :cool:

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. fish United Kingdom

fish Well-Known Member

You could do that and more for Romance;

flowers
    chocolate
    dining out
    gifts / presents e.g. jewellery
    champaign /wines
    makeovers / spas / masssage
    music
    perfume

make it easy & quick for the bloke to buy for his gal :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Love it, like a quick one-stop shop for all things romance. Excellent idea, thanks fish. :)

5. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

PS: The Google Ad Words Tool (UK) shows good results for 'people' and 'romance' , can anyone help me confirm please (don't use this much!)?

Romance = 450,000 Local Searches.
    People = 5,000,000 Local Searches.

Thanks. :)

Attached Files:

6. fish United Kingdom

fish Well-Known Member

[romance] 4,400
    [people] 110,000

exacts !

7. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

How did you get that then? :)

Cheers!

8. retired_member13

retired_member13 Banned

[romance] 4,400 (1 advertiser for keyword)
    [people] 110,000 (no advertisers for keyword)

The figures you were quoting are the broad match not the exact match. The advertiser numbers are relevant as they give an idea as to the likely ad targeting if you run something like adsense on a site. ie very targeted ads generally earn more revenue than untargeted ads.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Thanks for explaining, Ty_ :)

10. retired_member13

retired_member13 Banned

No worries,

The figures for [people] are a fair bit higher than you'd expect, but that's likely to be due to searches looking for the People newspaper & People.com, rather than anything else.

11. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Retired Member

people, I'm thinking a name search site like 192.co.uk or geneology but undev'd I would think about £100

romance, I am thinking has very good potential an could be worth £1000 to someone ?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Thanks Doodlebug, appreciate your insights. Will be developing both, as soon as I finish current project. :)

13. Retired_member41

Retired_member41 Retired Member

STOP

The type of sites your getting excited about developing could be developed using any old free to reg domain that would serve you much better.

If your happy spending a few days developing these for a couple of pound a month. Go for it. But reading your other posts you seem pretty switched on so I'm guessing the labour you would have to put in for the potential rewards of some affiliate type store are not worth it. As I said I'm not saying you couldn't make money like that but there are better domains out there etc

Dating, forget it. 192 type of directory, forget it. Both are doomed to fail.

If i were you. I would sit on the domains for a short time. Or sell them to the person that just valued them over £1000

People is the star for me and can see that being bought by a certain Market sector.

Romance I would try and turn into an expert site about romance of course, academic for the web in style, even one of those free wiki type scripts would work. There will be affiliate income once it's established. And when it's pr4 etc will make a good departure point for links to other sites related to romance you may set up.

I'm only a learner of course and don't take my own advice but thought I'd share my opinion lol

• Like Like x 1
  14. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your insights, Caz - most interesting. :)

15. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

I've decided to pop a blog on People.org.uk for now to see if I can get it listed/ranked in Google etc and also to watch what it does traffic-wise.

It would be nice to get into page 1 for 'people', but we'll see, lol. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.