Philosophy.co.uk lost by Velvet on a summary decision

Discussion in 'Domain Name Disputes' started by invincible, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

philosophy.co.uk was recently lost to Philosophy Inc, in a summary decision, by Velvet Enterprises Ltd. Looks like they didn't respond, for whatever reason, and Andrew Clinton decided against them.

Here's one definition of "Philosophy": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy - I've checked all of this to see if I've missed a typo but apparently I haven't! I notice the domain name hasn't been transferred yet. I cannot imagine a DRS appeal would be successful because if you didn't respond in the first place, an appeal is no good because it's usually based on what both parties originally submitted at the original DRS.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. Pred

Pred Well-Known Member

i used to have faith in the nominet decisions on balance
    seems they are as corrupted as wipo
    all meanings to corrupted apply

4. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

Seems like a very harsh decision to me. It's a shame Velvet Enterprises Ltd didnt respond, but still...

5. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

I wonder if they had it resolving to PPC/parking links that infringed the rights of the Complainant. I cannot think of another reason why they'd lose this generic. Unfortunately Summary Decisions don't tell us why and on this one I'd like to know.

6. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

It still does - the related searches and most of the ads are for cosmetics and skin care products, which is Philosophy Inc.'s primary business. That's one argument against fire-and-forget parking, unless you REALLY don't care whether you keep or lose a domain name.

7. Pred

Pred Well-Known Member

hmm
    considering those facts, it's no wonder they made the decision then

they didn't bother responding AND the ppc links showing that
    if they had responded and said they had taken the ppc links out that would be one thing

this is the danger of parking

you would think parking would show links to books and university courses
    not some soppy cosmetics firm but there you go

8. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member Full Member

The PPC opportunists know where their Bread-is-Buttered Not yours (the domain owner)

As a small side-line. I've tried a couple of high profile parking companies. Took-up an invitation to an account manager - who duly introduced himself, then went about creating the most TM conflicting earning portfolio I could imagine, Well No-thank-you, now I don't park anymore

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  9. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wasn't aware of the PPC links, so I think that along with not responding proved to be a killer combo. They likely made peanuts from the ads, and lost a great name in the process. Hopefully they'll realise this is happened and make changes to the parking situation of their other domains.

10. inbound United Kingdom

inbound Active Member

Another thing to consider about ppc/parking is that unscrupulous people might decide that targeting your site to show specific adverts will help their DRS complaint...

Never underestimate the devious nature of people out to shaft you.

11. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member Full Member

Agree, nothing wrong with over-estimating. Surprises me just how relaxed a business model exists out there. I've guessed you have to get burnt at least once (big time) to take-stock

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.