Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

PHP5 - Frameworks of choice...

What is your PHP5 framework of choice?

• CodeIgniter

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • FuelPHP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kohana

• Lavarel

• CakePHP

• SolarPHP

• YII Framework

• Symfony

• Own Custom

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
One for the techies, geeks & php5 developers.

What is your PHP5 development framework of choice, and why?

I've got a few classes that I use on all projects, for database, base functions that are used on most of the things I work on. I did use a custom template engine but am currently using Smarty.

I've tried some of the frameworks but unless your making a huge site with a large amount of features I've found them too much, often adding hundreds of files and tens of thousands of lines of code to a project that without a framework out be a lot more lightweight.

I'm similar, have a lot of classes, snippets etc.

I stopped using template engines a long time ago in favour of native php using the alternative syntax for within views/templates, e.g for ... endfor.

Forgot to add Zend Framework to the list, but that one is just massive overkill for any but enterprise applications.

I tend to use Drupal for a base framework to handle user accounts and so on and then build on top of that.

It is useful to have a standard framework structure to build things, but often, I find that a framework is too restrictive.

Smarty can be quite useful, but again often you can find that you're having to alter how you would code things to fit in with the presentation layer. Good discipline when working in a team or on a large project, but often overkill for the smaller projects.

Building a set of library functions is good, if these are built modular you can reduce the code footprint by just including what is needed rather than a whole bloated library.

Sometimes all you really need is a bit of simple procedural code forgetting about objects, frameworks and all these other goodies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom