Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Please specify budget

Discussion in 'Domain Name Wanted' started by Paullas, Aug 15, 2010.

?

Should you add a budget?

1. Yes

55.1%
  2. No

16.3%
  3. dosnt matter

28.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paullas

Paullas Super Moderator Staff Member

We are getting more and more complaints about people putting domains wanted and not listing a budget.

So if a thread is posted and does not contain a budget we will delete it without notice as members know the rules now. Any threads that have already been published but no budget in it by tomorrow will also be deleted.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Brilliant move, thanks - saves having to post the reminder in each non-compliant thread...

4. pendragon United Kingdom

pendragon Well-Known Member

why should we post a budget?

my budget is 100 etc etc , then you get shit offered at that price or a name you might actually want offered at that which otherwise might have been offered at a lower price if you'd put no budget on.

budget only bothers those who sell at high budget prices.

Fine, I'll go elsewhere to get names that I want, and let the seller quote a price before showing my hand.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  5. Brassneck United Kingdom

Brassneck Well-Known Member

I reply to a lot of domains wanted threads and I have never been too bothered about whether or not poster states a budget. You can usually tell what sort of price range is likely to be successful if you are going to offer up domains.

Replying to domains wanted threads isn't compulsory.

Stephen.

6. pendragon United Kingdom

pendragon Well-Known Member

exactly.

And it's always the higher end sellers asking "what's your budget, what's your budget, what's your budget?"

Why the hell should I tell you what my budget is, then let you come up with a price accordingly?

You have a domain you personally think is worth 1k. I state a budget of 3k. We know damned well that 1k valuation will suddenly go up to 2k or whatever.

If you want to make a sale, you will take the ten seconds to post that yourcrap.co.uk is available for 1k

If it is too much of a hardship, and the fact that no budget is stated vexes you so, then don't post and miss a potential sale.

I couldn't give a flying **** really. Get over it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  7. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

a good move imho

8. ScottJ United Kingdom

ScottJ Well-Known Member

It's fair to say I have responded to a few wanteds who reply nice name but out with my budget, good move for everyone, big difference between 100 and 5000 names.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  9. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

I generally don't send a price or range or anything if no budget is posted.

If they have posted a budget, I only usually say I have X, Y, Z available within your budget, any interest ?. I don't send names I consider out of their budget, so it cuts things down a little.

If no budget is posted, I say I have these for sale, anything tickle you?, and again go from there. I don't ever price my names, but that's because I really don't care if they sell or not, I really really don't like selling :p

10. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

Good move, saves so much messing about, pointless posting a name without the persons budget ? you offer a name in good faith only to find the buyer was looking at £xx.
    I agree with pendragon that you can just ignore the thread but I think the rule on posting a budget is not unreasonable, and should be adhered to.

11. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Having the budget right there saves so much time. All my domains are priced (the prices are on public display on my site and I don't "tailor" them to the buyer) so then I just go down the list and see if anything fits the need and matches the posted budget.

I agree that some people may try and "game" the Wanted ad poster if they tend to price domains on the fly, but you're never compelled to buy anything no matter what the price, so you can easily ignore suggestions that are too expensive for what they are...

12. julian United Kingdom

julian Banned

I don't see what the big deal is with not specifying a budget. People are pm'ing me saying 'what's the budget' what's the budget!!! and THEN i'll send you my precious names!!'' - so I tell them a rough budget and I mostly get sent a pile of shite not even worth reg'fee and yet the same people are getting all emotional because a buyer does not set a budget? wtf's going on?

Before we even get near discussing budgets domainers need to come back to reality..

Edwin - you asked me for a budget for gold related domains and I looked at what you had and I personally would'nt have paid reg'fee for it, of course you would argue differently and thats totally as domain valuation subjective and thats fine i'm just using you as an example.

So unless its so blantantly obvious of high value why bother demanding buyers budget.

• Like Like x 1
  13. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

I tend to agree that the posting of a budget is a little unusual and if buying for clients is a disadvantage..?

You post a budget of £5K a domain comes in meets the requirements ( a miracle ) at £5k, Short list it to client often too be told they had already been offered it at £4.5k (With the higher value domains I except as the owners being more professional…? They should have identified and contacted potential buyers I try and pre-empt this with have this domain been offered to others for sale within the past year or so..? Then explain the increase in price to end user is due to demand ???? But it is still embarrassing)

On the more budget names say £500 a vast majority of the domains previously priced lower tend to become £500 when a budget is posted this ultimately does not help buyer or sellers…

It also puzzles when you do post your budget how many people send a name with “I have xxxxx make me an offer?

Whilst it can be annoying sending a name to someone only to be told it’s beyond there budget its no more than being sent lots of overpriced or totally irrelevant ones..?

Whilst you do need to encourage sellers I think you need to encourage buyers especially end users more..? They don’t like to show the hand which could be why there is no site that seams to be just geared to have end user just posting that they want to buy names exclusively…?

If you wish to make a living from domains there has to be a happy medium on both sides?

14. Brassneck United Kingdom

Brassneck Well-Known Member

I think this sums it up pretty well. I don't think posting a budget should be compulsory.

Stephen.

15. Paullas

ok poll added to get peoples views.

16. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

Could I clarify does “Doesn’t matter” vote count as If people wish to state budget they can if not they don’t or goes with the majority vote with either yes or no..

Personally I do put a budget but don’t think it should be compulsory...? Hence no..?

17. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

Agreed, the no & doesn't matter are a bit ambiguous and generally mean the same thing.

S

18. Leeroy United Kingdom

Leeroy Active Member

I think it should be a decision the poster makes. I would however most likely post a budget but that's me.

19. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

I don't see how No and Doesn't Matter are the same thing ?

Surely doesn't matter means, they don't careless either way. The fair thing with those votes is to split them 50/50 to the no/yes selection ?

20. retired_member12

retired_member12 Retired Member

That doesn't contribute anything, does it?

21. Paullas

yes = have to list a budget
    No = dont list a budget
    doesn't matter = can list a budget if they want but dont have to, its upto the poster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.