Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Please specify budget

Discussion in 'Domain Name Wanted' started by Paullas, Aug 15, 2010.

?

Should you add a budget?

1. Yes

55.1%
  2. No

16.3%
  3. dosnt matter

28.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The wisdom of Zammo McGuire....?​

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. shane8960

shane8960 Active Member

Dont think it matters really. All that matters is that the buyer and seller agree a price for a domain that they are both happy with? A buyer may have a budget of high £xx,xxx, hoping that a domain such as widgets.co.uk is available, however they may be happy to buy squarewidgets.co.uk for £x,xxx. I guess what Im trying to say is that the buyers budget doesnt affect the value of a domain.

The only problem I can see with not posting them is if you are looking for a premium domain with a large budget you will get a lot of lower quality domains such as "greensquarewidgets4u" being offerred for £30, and vice versa, if you only have a £xx budget and your looking for something cheap, you will get a lot of high end domains and people asking for offers, at which point when you offer the top end of your budget the seller gets annoyed that you have offered them £100 for a domain they want £5k for.

I dont know :confused:

4. DomainManagement

DomainManagement Active Member

I agree with Pendragon and namealot we all like to try and get a bargain buy

from time to time and we all like to try achieve a good sale price

so putting a price up is not that great as there are plenty of variable`s as well

do yo urule some one out and maybe they could have purchased i dont think so

and after all negotiation is the name of the game either way

so just say NO

5. mibut United Kingdom

mibut Active Member

Setting a budget means that you don't get stupid replies when offering domains, an example below
    "i am a little bit lost with out a guide price as i am not a end user and this is for a project i have
    if you are looking for end user prices then i am not your guy"

6. Brassneck United Kingdom

Brassneck Well-Known Member

So - will the "You must post a Price-Range!" part of the sub-forum heading now be removed?

Thanks
    Stephen.

7. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

I think the people who voted for doesn't matter may have thought it meant they don't care one way or another about you should or you should not , this should have been just a yes or a no vote.

A yes you do have to = you must
    A no you don't have to = you can if you want it doesn't matter.

8. gio United Kingdom

gio Active Member

Yes I would be interested to know.

Do we still have to post a price range or is it now optional?

9. Frog

Frog Active Member

Having made a "want to buy a generic 5k-10k domain" thread recently, it was blatantly obvious a high percent of people just completely ignored what you ask for, and send you whatever they had to hand.

Also, I don't think I'll put an exact figure on the lower estimate again - it was pretty clear that a lot of sub £5k domains were also mysteriously worth exactly £5000 and pm'd to me - one of which I'd seen the same seller offer elsewhere the week before for < £3000 :D

I think it makes sense to specify at least a little, purely not to waste your own time or other members. If you're in the market for something like Loans.co.uk, you're not going to change your mind and pay £40 for cheap-same-day-loans.info, so you might as well at least make an effort to filter those out (even though a lot of people won't listen anyway).

10. stender United Kingdom

stender Well-Known Member

I voted yes as it does help save people wasting their time, but I don't think threads should be deleted if they haven't stated one. It's your choice if you want to respond or not.

11. detox1978 United Kingdom

detox1978 Member

Let the moaners miss out on the sale.

I don't complain when people send utter rubbish domain and say "make me an offer".

12. HariSeldon United Kingdom

HariSeldon Active Member

I've seen Wanted ads where I know I have domains that fit the bill exactly but without a price range listed I won't engage with the OP.

1) It means I'm not wasting my time promoting £xxx or £xxxx domains when the OP's budget is £xx.
    2) In my experience anyone who won't play by the rules at the beginning of negotiations (e.g. by ignoring the Price-Range rule) is much more likely to also mess you about during the rest of the transaction.

It's telling that Sedo reckon domains with prices sell 3x quicker than those without so it stands to reason that it's the same for buying.

H.S.

13. Brassneck United Kingdom

Brassneck Well-Known Member

Shouldn't the rule be amended in light of the poll results which are pretty inconclusive. The rule was only implemented recently and then the poll was added I believe to see what people think. I think the general consensus seems to be that adding a price might be helpful (& good practice?) but isn't compulsory.

Stephen.

14. Helmuts

Helmuts AcornDomains.co.uk ★★★★★

don't know...

everyboody has got a budget for any stuff they want to buy.

but, when they get offered an item (in this case domain) they fall in love - bugdet will change dramaticly - it can grow even 10 times or more.

for example, i just recently posted that friend of mine wants a domain. I didn't say it, but his budget was £200. then we received an offer of a domain he wants quite badly but the price will be high. as the domain name can make or break his online project - they will start start talking over the price that will definately be over £1000.

so - leave it as it is!

.... people are not buying stuff here that has got fixed price.

15. DropCatcher-co-uk United Kingdom

DropCatcher-co-uk Active Member

Big Charlie Potatoes

What's the point? All the big charlie potatoes (legends in the own minds!) come on specifying massive imaginary budgets demanding 15 year aging, 500,000 local exacts, traffic and future earnings guarantees cosigned by the Queen and the Pope and then when you offer them the category killer for that genre, ticking all the boxes, they offer you about 5% of what their "budget" was supposed to have been lol.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Whibs

Whibs Active Member

If you want to post a budget then please do so, if you don't then don't. The only person that suffers is the poster as they are the ones that need to filter through all the mails and replies. If the posters description is clear he can guide and suggest with out placing a budget.

I actually feel that a guideline to budget will always be helpful to the poster as this ensures his audience is being filtered well before he sees the domains but many will not waste their time if there is no budget so again it is the poster who loses out.

17. wb

wb Well-Known Member

Up to the thread starter if they want to start a budget, although personally I see it as a good idea as it reduces the potentially wasted time by those replying.

Equally though, if a budget is posted, it should be stuck to by those replying to the thread (i.e. none of the current 'could be for sale but you will need to increase your budget' replies).

18. jimmc

jimmc Active Member

I don't agree to listing a budget, the buyer knows what their budget is and this only serves to encourage people to believe any old piece of rubbish is the value of whatever budget you have posted.

Listings SHOULD NOT be deleted, its up to any individual on here if they want to put their names forward!

No-one is forcing anyone to join the particular thread!!

19. retired_member36

retired_member36 Retired Member

I too dont think you should be made to list your budget for the reasons already stated, you list a price your willing to pay and all of a sudden those names that have been previously posted in the bargain basement or what ever its called are suddenly worth what your willing to pay.

I appreciate it takes time for those with bigger portfolios to compile a list that might be out of the OP price range, but atleast you made the effort for the potential sale and a little bit of graft doesnt hurt anyone, especially as it could result in a sale. Its also far less work than if you were to contact a boat load of end users for the domains you might pitch to the OP.

20. eddieb United Kingdom

eddieb Active Member

Personally I like the '£xx, £xxx, £ xxxx etc format. Its enough to tell me if there is a chance the price wanted affordable to me or if budget restriction is something I may be willing to sell at, without giving too much away to the other party

21. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

Why do birds suddenly appear, when you are near?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.