Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Premium .com section?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Pred, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RSK3000 United Kingdom

RSK3000 Active Member

Good idea. ;)

I think this is the right time for a discussion like this because we are going to be flooded with these new vanity extensions in the next few years.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. willbon

willbon Active Member

Acorn is certainly the best place to go for .uk extensions and as has been suggested, as the market for the lesser .uk extensions becomes more popular, it would be a shame to loose the 'market position' for Acorn.

However, I've been a member here for 4 years and am more of a reader than a contributor (apologies - I'll try and make amends!) and I view Acorn as the UK's primary place to go to discuss and research ALL TLD's from a UK point of view.

I think Acorn is the best domain forum site in the country and would like to see it continue to be.. and to grow accordingly... so I would hope that it could cope with areas designated for other TLD's and incorporate a system whereby spamming could be reduced... e.g. free limited membership for a period, then be 'seconded' by another member to achieve full membership status - hopefully could cut out the 'chaff'?... or would spammers just sign up new accounts to do their spamming?

Personally I don't have too much of a problem with the odd idiotic spam post, but as has been said, if it's the sign of the future, then, maybe it needs to be nipped in the bud now.

Acorn is the best.... let's keep it that way!

4. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

admin?
    care to chime in?

5. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Remaining the UK's No1 forum for all things UK domaining has always been my goal and that will never change! The large US forums can have all the other stuff.

I do try to accommodate other TLDs here as i know some of you have them but I don't myself, other than the odd .COM just handling my .UK portfolio is enough for me.

I could make the gTLD sections "UK specific" only but looking at Sedo's efforts to do country flavoured RSS feeds it's not an easy task and I'd have to view and judge every domain posted there.

What's a good way to keep the hardcore UK forums whilst having a small area for other things that doesn't create a huge moderation queue?

Admin

6. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

How about allowing the sale but not the appraisal of gTLDs?

After all, this is first and foremost (and above all) a UK forum, so the expertise to value gTLDs in any meaningful way is in any case less - and anyone who needs to have their gTLD valued is probably sitting on something with no relevance to the UK market, otherwise they'd already know what they have.

Either that, or install some kind of limiter to only allow posting OF ANY KIND to gTLD forums if the poster has e.g. 50 posts under their belt already. Stops drive by spammers and idiots from other forums, but lets the UK domainers who participate actively in the community still highlight and market their gTLD offerings.

Perhaps combine that with a harsher moderation touch for those clearly outside the UK market i.e. who talk only of gTLDs - "encourages" them to head back to the US forums where frankly they really belong!

7. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

the answer's are in the thread Grasshopper :D

8. RSK3000 United Kingdom

RSK3000 Active Member

While Edwin is right up to a point - there has to be some sort of limit -I'm not so sure what the answer is. What about TLDs with UK spellings, or terms used in the UK, and so on?

Also, one big market for UK domains is the US market. They can pick up UK domains for a fraction of the price of the .com version so they think they are getting a bargain.

I think clear guidelines and robust moderation is the answer......

9. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Retired Member

Start a seperate forum for gTLDs and link it from here maybe ?

10. Admin

I have made some major changes to the other TLD sections:

Other TLD drop lists - removed

Other TLD UK Domain Names For Sale

7 day limit before threads can be bumped
    50 posts count required before a new thread can be posted
    50 posts count before a thread can be replied to

I am hoping this will allow the gTLD to remain active, but discourage people who are not domainers for the UK markets or just here to promote domains for slae without actually being part of the community.

Effective immediately.

Admin

11. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Retired Member

This could be good Admin, say goodbye to Flightfool :D

Just to be clear does mean you need a minimum of 50 posts to start a new thread or 1 new thread for every 50 posts you make ie, you have made 50 posts so can now start a new thread and then you have to wait till post 100 for your next one regarding TLD section anyway.

I have a feeling it is the first one I said but not sure ?

12. Admin

It means any new users will need 50 posts before they can post or reply in the other TLD sections.

This should encourage only new people who have UK domains, whilst not preventing established members from posting gTLD domains when it suits them.

Admin

13. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member

Spot on Alan, great change.

14. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Brilliant move. That should dramatically cut down on the spam posts!

Maybe you could edit the template of the non-UK forums so that you highlight the change in big letters? Or does a warning pop up somewhere else? Just a thought, as otherwise I can see there's the potential for a lot of new "support" questions from people who don't understand the restrictions...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  15. fish United Kingdom

fish Well-Known Member

Good move thanks Admin!

Now, can we have somewhere separate where uk domains have been placed at auction? (rather than getting lumped in with the main sales/offers thread)

thanks

Fish

16. Admin

Hi Edwin,

The rules are laid out here, at the top of the forums:
    http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/top-l...rules-please-read-before-creating-thread.html

17. Admin

There is a UK (Acorn) auctions section, are you talking about a non-Acorn auction forum such as Sedo? Isn't this just going to encourage bumping? 10 mins to go...5 mins to go....1 min to go...??

18. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

19. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

so, how about a premium .com section?
    lol

20. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

Spot on Alan. A nice balance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.