Domain Manage

Private emails with caught domain names

Discussion in 'General Board' started by anthony, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthony United Kingdom

anthony Well-Known Member

When I register dropped domain names, I tend to use catch all email initially, so as to provide a basic filter for possible future use, mainly to be spam aware. I don't know if anyone else bothers with this side of things, but it also highlights a glaring hole from a security or privacy perspective.

One domain I nabbed in the past few months is frankly frightening. I swear I know far too much about this guy, and could quite easily gain access to a number of accounts with well known internet organisations who offer simple 'forgotten password' facilities.

It also makes you aware of the problems for yourself in the future. I'll bet quite a few of you have multiple email addresses tied to a small number of domains (maybe just one domain) that you own. If you kicked the bucket tomorrow, you'd want to be sure these particular domains are made aware to your family, as it's not a genie they can easily put back in the bottle once someone else has the domain.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

That's why I renew the domain tied to my email account for 10 years at a time. Which reminds me it needs doing again (thanks) as it's only got 5.5 years to go...

4. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Great if it's a .com but not possible with .uk

5. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Really important post Anthony - it has got me thinking about ensuring important domains are looked after properly should anything happen to me.

6. Ashton United Kingdom

Ashton Well-Known Member

I have had to forward some really important news from a caught domain (and not the Nigerian banker type news!)

7. davedevelopment United Kingdom

davedevelopment Well-Known Member

8. anthony United Kingdom

anthony Well-Known Member

That's a good read, cheers. Can you imagine the info some of the top catchers are sitting on? Maybe companies should revisit the prospect of using the .ltd.uk, at least that would limit info leaking to all but the next limited company to use the name. Then again, there are problems with that route too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.