Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Problem with domain buyer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just want to field opinions on how to get someone to pay monies owed over a domain. Domain in question was agree & sold in June/July, I receive half of payment, sent forms over etc., domain was transferred in end of July/start of August, yet to receive the rest.

It was only for 600 total, so not a big deal but all the money helps right now especially with this dreadful exchange rate & economy.

My 'problem' is that either I'm too soft or I'll go in with all guns blazing...
I've already sent 2 messages last week, politely asking that payment be made... I have a feeling they are playing me around saying "Oh I thought I sent payment"...

Suggestions guys?

Write to them again declaring a deadline in say a weeks time, after which you will seek to recover the money through the small claims court.

If you have their address, send it as a letter as formal notification of your intent to take action, that may have more impact than just another email.

Admin

I would write by recorded delivery restating the terms of the sale as you understood them to be (include copies of the contract/ emails that confirm these terms), and require the buyer to pay within x days. State that their only legal options are either to pay, or contradict the terms of sale by providing written evidence to the contrary. Say that you will begin a small claims court action to recover both the sum outstanding AND your legal costs (emphasise the costs part and refer to also claiming monies for your time, and that in total the costs component will likely be more than the sum outstanding), and include a copy of the court claim form to show knowledge of the procedure. Write in a tone that suggests you have used the court successfully before and are quite familiar with the process.

I'd try not to transfer until you have all the money - then you have nothing to lose.
In this situation I'd try and get them on the phone - difficult to make an excuse when you have them in person.

If you think that they might say 'oh I thought I sent payment' then that sounds a bit positive to me, like at least you'll get your money in the end (and they haven't done a runner!

I'd definitely try and speak to them on the phone first - if no luck then threaten court stuff, but there also is the chance that they just forgot and are away from email. Other wise Firestars debt collection service doesn't sound bad, only 10%.

If you have been duped, as I have recently, then one answer would be to start a Wordpress site, with the offender's name and detail in the URL, and 'name and shame' there. Although it's great to be made aware of scammers on a forum like this, it's difficult for the forum management to carry the potential liability. But don't wait six months like I've had to!

Or go the Firestars route :D

Update - he finally paid at the last moment... So this one's resolved luckily... But in future, no more half/half payments!

Nice one Dev, glad to see you got the conclusion you wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom