Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Profit or Loss?

Discussion in 'Domain Parking - General' started by denchomsky, Aug 18, 2006.

?

Have you made a profit or loss In the Domain Business?

1. Profit

18 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. Loss

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Broke Even

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denchomsky United Kingdom

denchomsky Well-Known Member

This is a poll to determine if you have made a profit so far from the domain trade.

Please vote with the criteria, profit or loss from domain sales, parking & affiliate programs. ie roughly how much you have spent, against how much you have earned to date.

Please do not include what YOU think your portfolio is worth as we all know some of us have a rather twisted unrealistic opinion of this.:???:

Also please do not include income made from products or services from developed sites.

Sorry for the Rules.....:-D

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

Profit... how can you make a loss?

4. denchomsky United Kingdom

I guess by Reg'ing lot's of crap names or buying alot of crap name's from other people.

You tell me Lee;)

5. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

Well if and when I make a loss I might be able to tell you.

6. denchomsky United Kingdom

I was Joking Lee....(That's what the little winking man means)........ It's just a simple poll with 3 options, not an opportunity to blow one's own trumpet!

7. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

Well bugger you, I won't bother in future. Forget it, and I aint blowing my own trumpet, I've got 200 domains here I want to sell, how am I doing that when I can't sell them? I'm just saying it shouldn't be possible to make a loss. I can't play any musical instruments.

If you put a poll up like this then expect people to be polite and add their view at the same time.

*One of the domains I put up for sale for £30 the other month, made £22 two days ago, now is that playing music or just showing how music is made?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  8. denchomsky United Kingdom

Jesus! Calm Down Lee.

You've lost me on your music plateau!

Are You Drunk?

9. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

That's the second time I've heard someone say jesus today, apparantly there's a funeral in the middle east where jesus visited. 1. jesus was a character in a book, 2. it was probably 2000 years ago, how can they connect jesus went to a wedding and then mention a funeral today? I should have watched the rest I suppose.

A professional domainer would show a loss from day one what with tag, script etc. but should make their money back within the year, probably sooner so that's a sound investment but with prenoms ending there's less quick sale scope and people should now hold on to domains for longer, however companies go into liquidation and as you know some individuals prefer to just let domains drop, unwittingly or with full knowledge there's a few thousand on the table.

Next up. Your multi use domainer, they may contain all three of these groups listed, they earn money from PPC, domain sales and web development, redirecting to an existing business etc. this lot don't have to rely on expensive set ups but will to compete in the future. Their profit is either real or absorbed through other activities.

Finally your amateur domainer, I'm inbetween multi use and amateur although would like to see myself in the middle group more, in fact I know I am but don't wish to blow my own trumpet. This lot reg things and then post on the forum "what do you think I should do with this?" Well numbnuts you bought it, what do you think you should do with it? They have no plan, they know little about website design or marketing and don't understand connected industries but if they read acorn they can move into the knowledgebase fast.

So to profit, group one have got it made, they can go from a £10,000 set up to a £50,000 profit in six months, but they are competing with the best, if their script is crap it will take them longer, if they want out after paying off their mortgage then it's job done, they're the shrewd lot.

The middle group, profit isn't the motivation but it's the goal in a variety of ways, they're sole traders whether they hide their info as an individual or not, they're looking for sellable, personal meaning, well defined domains that aren't specifically top keyword generics but are related to their or an industry.

They may look at other parameters like ov and previous history, get lucky or start from scratch. These lot can be shrewd as they can see things the presumed pros left behind, but the presumed pro domainers know they only want the best for quick high sales, very high parking revenue and one or two appear to be going into development proper and not catching 'good name but would take a while to move'.

But this group, like the top one know they will make money from their holidings, they know they need to make more than reg fee over two years and to most of them that's attainable either via the sale of more existing products in their business, the sale of the domain name, parking it, renting it or developing the domain simply or wholly.

At this point, no one should have made a loss.

Losses can be possible at the final group but if they're sensible then one in a hundred sales can pay for the next hundred's renewal and dropping a domain aint bad, it's a learning curve but if you like it, keep it. Staying in domaining is sustainable but seeing some of the crap on here it does make me wonder what some are thinking, I'll hold me hands up, so eager was I for a three character I got 2ec just for the hell of it. So I've been there and we all have moments of madness.

In my view all domains should make a profit one way or the other but in some cases, crap is crap.

*And a note to myself, I put a domain up for sale, you know the cheapies the other week that still didn't shift, someone in affiliate marketing wanted it cheaper and for me to pay the transfer fee as well, so it went from £100 down to £45. I didn't sell it, I know they'd made £20,000 off of it easily, they should have more faith in their ability. ;) The funny thing is, if they wanted it at the for sale £100, they'd have got it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  10. denchomsky United Kingdom

Now that's what i call a post!, much better than your previous 2, You have just added to the knowledge base you talked of in paragraph 4.

Thankyou Lee, Glad to see you have sobered up;)

11. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

I just don't take well to low comments, no need to patronise. Wink wink. ;) ;) Are you a teacher? do you want to give me a gold star as well? wink wink ;) ;)

12. denchomsky United Kingdom

My intent was not to patronise Lee, i was just trying to be nice.:D

13. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

OK, I'll let you shag my ex then.

14. denchomsky United Kingdom

Send me a picture first, i might not want to.

15. stender United Kingdom

stender Well-Known Member

I can't relly answer your poll.
    I haven't sold any domains (I aim to develop or park)
    But I haven't made a loss if you exclude reg costs, and that isn't realised til you sell or they expire.
    And the parking fees haven't covered the reg fees for all the domains yet.

Lee, i'll have a photo of your ex too please! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.