Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Proving Who You Are

Discussion in 'General Board' started by retired_member6, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ellis United Kingdom

Ellis Active Member

If I'm buying domains valued at more than £1000 and I don't know the seller, I always get a photocopy of the passport, a utility bill, signed declaration, receipt and conditions of sale.

This is the way it should be done.

You're worrying for nothing Lee

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

Yes but I'm doing this through nominet. I'm in a mood today, scum everywhere! I'm kicking DD24 in the teeth for bad business practice at the moment. I'll play their little game. Next time I go in a shop and buy an expensive hi fi or TV I'll remember to ask the saleaman for his passport.

4. domaingenius

domaingenius Well-Known Member

When I was applying to a number of .eu registrars to try for a name in Phase 1 they wanted me to supply Passport copy ,driving licence etc and I basically told them to get lost as no way would I just send that to try for name.

Personally I would be very careful about handing such info to a solicitor as most of those cannot be trusted either. Look at crimewatch on Monday and that Law Society investigator beaten and slashed because he was investigating corrupt solicitors !.

DG

5. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

I just wouldn't bother....if you use a recognised Escrow service then both parties are safe as they act as a middleman in the domain / money exchange.

6. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

I know a bit about these and, while "money laundering laws" is a bit unspecific, it sounds a bit fishy to me. Money laundering is all about hard cash and the most recent legislation was all about bringing in some regulation to those businesses that may handle large cash payments - car dealers, antiques, etc. It also brought in addiitonal regulation to professionals like solicitors and accountants (the KYC "know your client" stuff).

Unless they're paying in pieces of paper with pictures of the queen, personally I can't see it being anything to do with money laundering.

I can see it being to do with them not wanting to get ripped off and wanting to know for sure who you are though.

Anyway, presumably it's all done now and the deal will soon be sorted.

7. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

Well it's done now, they now have enough information to bring an illegal immigrant into the country. Let's hope they don't lose the info.

8. aqls

aqls Well-Known Member

Hey, at least you made someone happy!

-aqls-

9. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

Made myself happy as well, at least it's over and done with. I don't know what makes a solicitor so important anyway, 200 years ago they may have been an important part of society but these days they're just like anybody else.

10. retired_member11

retired_member11 Retired Member

Who do you think you are?!

Solicitors are jolly important people, so they say ;-)

11. olebean United Kingdom

olebean Well-Known Member

Lee

It might end up being cheap! to use a "real" persons id! They could make a fortune from it.....

On the flip side, i happed to have engaged two different solicitors for differing reasons, both insisted on passport and utility bills..... heaven help us when id cards come in (it wasnt me, someone nicked my id me lawd!)

12. wwwdomain.name

wwwdomain.name Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.