Domain Manage

Question about DRS etc

Discussion in 'Domain Name Disputes' started by Brassneck, Oct 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brassneck United Kingdom

Brassneck Well-Known Member

Recently picked up a .co.uk domain. Major extensions are all owned by same company - not sure why they let the .co.uk extension drop however I now have it. Question is, if they let it drop would this be likely to affect adjudication in any possible DRS?

There is no UK or European trademark registered (as far as I can tell) but there is a US one.

Any thoughts welcomed!

Thanks
    Stephen.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. singlefile

singlefile Active Member

No, I do not consider the fact that they let it drop, would prejudice a DRS case at all. There is more than one reason why a domain name may be dropped and a DRS case would not be adversely affected /disallowed due to what may have simply been an administrative error. The main ingredient would be the robustness and reasonableness of their assertion of their IP rights [you don't need to demonstrate possession of a registered trademark in order to have recognised IP rights] and not the question of their administrative prowess.

If you do ever get DRS'd by the company in question, by all means, let me know. If you wish, I could PM you some free, private and confidential advice.

4. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

I don't think them letting it drop will have any influence over DRS.

I believe having a UK trademark strengthens your claim over a domain name, so if it doesn't exist already and you really think it's worth it, you could consider trying to get this. I don't think a UK trademark is that expensive?

Rgds

accelerator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.