Domain Manage

Question re enquiry

Discussion in 'NameDrive' started by domaingenius, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. domaingenius

domaingenius Well-Known Member

Is there any chance of having the IP of the enquirer attached to any messages enquiring after a domain name, or would that be too hard to do ?. Reason I ask is that often I used to look up the IP to see who actually is enquiring ,see if it is a TM lawyer etc, but obviously cannot do that through ND.

DG

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. SecNam

SecNam Moderator Staff Member

very good idea. I would like to see this also.

4. NameDriver

NameDriver NameDrive Staff

Hmm. What an interesting idea. It is by all means doable. I'm not sure to what extent it is invading on the potential buyer's privacy. I suppose we'd have to put somthing on the page saying "Your IP address will be sent with this offer" which may turn some people off potentially bidding on domains.
    Tricky one. It should reduce fake bids but I'm not sure if it'd reduce valid ones too...

Ed

5. sneezycheese

sneezycheese Active Member

...You'll find that most decent E-Commerce enabled sites will log a buyers IP Address and record it in the transaction record. So it's something that is part of dayly life for everyone who purchases online.

As for making a IP logging privacy statement - you could either put in your T&C's or make it more obvious - but either way this is something you are legally allowed to do (in cirtain circumstances you may even be obliged to do it - e.g. under IC Office rules to combat fraud).

Regards,

Sneezy.

6. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

This is a good idea and if people are making genuine offers then I can't see them being put off because their IP is logged. The problem is though if the ip logging is made clear on the offer page then IP lawyers or freaks making fake offers will just go through a proxy server before placing the offer?

Grant

7. newbie United Kingdom

newbie Active Member

The visitor IP will already be logged on NameDrive apache server logs, as is everyone's IP when you visit a site. I think that telling a user that their IP will be collected (even though this happens all of the time) might scare them and they may liken it with their email address being given away/sold!

So I think it should just be provided as part of the info we get to help wean out persistent annoying people and time wasters :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.