Domain Manage

Raising Industry Standards Consultation

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by Jac, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jac

Jac Active Member

In order to achieve a more complete representation of the views of all stakeholders, Nominet has extended its "Raising Industry Standards" Consultation until the 31st May. You guys express strong views on these things, so if anyone feels inclined to get involved, the starting point is here.

For the record, Nominet says the proposals are key to ensuring .uk remains a strong brand and that .uk Registrars (aka Tag Holders) have an improved reputation. Some of the proposals in this consultation may result in changes to the current registrar contract (Tag Holder Agreement). As a result, Tag Holders may need to make changes to their own customer contracts. So any Tag Holders out there? You need to tell Nominet what you think otherwise your viewpoint won't be represented.

Please respond.

Ta
    James Conaghan
    [PAB Member]

Last edited: May 3, 2006
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. Whois-Search United Kingdom

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

14 pages of PDF later ..........

So the worst that can happen is:

1. Nominet awards registers like Pipex and UK2 a “gold standard”.

When one charges 50p a minute on the phone and ermmm "takes money off you" for .eu domains and the other charges for "extras" and makes it hard to transfer.

A bit like Godaddy being awarded Microsoft Gold when it just switched all its servers to them LOL

http://www.hostreview.com/news/news/060427GoDaddyAwarded.htnl

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2006/04/06/april_2006_web_server_survey.html

2. Accuracy of data

Say I move house and forget to update my whois details. Someone tips off Nominet - they delete my domain ?

3. Legal / web design expenses

Someone has to write all these extra "contract details" and put them on the website - who is going to pay for that ?

4. Technical support cost

Due to increased technical support cost domain prices go up.

5. Register DRS

So there will be a DRS for "naughty registers" - what will be the appeal fees ? £3000 + VAT ?

And then all the dispute cases will be listed on the Nominet website for years to come ?

However everything else I sort of "agree with".

4. Jac

Jac Active Member

I would not personally be in favour of any tag holder who deliberately makes it hard for the registrant to transfer getting a 'gold star' but I can't comment on someone else's business model (i.e. the .eu pre/post registration thing).

For the record, The PAB sub-committee stated in their response that "Nominet needs to clarify its thinking and define what is meant by "Gold Standard"."

The quick answer is "no" they won't immediately delete your domain. They don't do this now and there's no reason for them to change so radically in the future. What Nominet does if they are aware of incorrect WHOIS information is first try to establish the correct information through the tag holder and if they can't help, Nominet tries to contact the registrant. If they can't contact the registrant, what would you suggest they do? :???: (Clause 4.1 of the Terms and Conditions refers.)

These are all good questions which I would recommend you email to Nominet as a response to the consultation. See here. At the end of the consultation all responses have to be considered by Nominet and they then have to present a final draft to the PAB. There's still time to be heard.

Are you sure? :p

Regards
    James Conaghan
    [PAB Member]

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  5. tmsdomreg

tmsdomreg Active Member

6. Jac

Jac Active Member

Thanks Peter, and yes, it is worrying that the perception of some people is that Nominet is somehow actively working against them. I think there's a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding that needs to be clarified and that's why I'm on here; trying to clarify the issues. I don't mind being criticised and neither does Nominet, but it would be more palatable if it was based on fact and not conjecture. Personal experience has taught me that the only way to make a system better is to work with it and not against it. Wailing and gnashing of teeth may bring some short-term satisfaction but what we really need is a long-term collaboration with all stakeholders; one that makes the .uk domain name system better for each and every registrant.

Regards
    James Conaghan
    [PAB Member]

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  7. Whois-Search United Kingdom

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.