Domain Manage

Rebuilding after the Penguin

Discussion in 'Affiliate Marketing' started by GWM, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GWM

GWM Member

So here's the question:

Original site hit by the Penguin. 75% drop in traffic overnight. Still ranking for a couple of search terms.

I've looked at all the advice I can find on how to recover, I'm rebuilding the site from scratch to hopefully provide better content and better user experience and add value.

If I launch the new site under the old domain name, will I see a boost in some search terms or will I remain in the same ranking positions since the incoming link structure to the domain hasn't changed? i.e. too many targeted link text links.

Any advice on cleaning up links? Seems almost impossible to me to get people to change your links once they are up. No-one wants to reply.

Thanks

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

How about trying some social media marketing instead? That should be Google Algorithm proof.

Rgds

4. fish United Kingdom

fish Well-Known Member

Here's an interesting article that may be of interest to anyone concerned about panda / penguin knobbling your site(s)

5. GWM

GWM Member

Interesting article. Thanks.

Also, tonight Google have released some more detail around their newly updated Webmaster Guidelines. Worth a read.

6. bermuda

bermuda Member

I really doubt if you create a whole new structure for your website or even use another new domain everything gets resolved because in such situations, fast solutions will not render solid outcomes, as you should examine your specific web case, determine what has caused the real problem. A lot of websites which have reported loss of ranks had pages filled with duplicate contents, articles which had been simply copied from major article directories and then caused troubles.

There is no need to do a major renovation because sometimes as soon as you delete the copied contents and publish some original articles, a lot of improvements will occur. About the links, I would say forget about the ones that have been added so far because since they are one-way links, even if they come from unrelated sources, they will not damage your site that much. From now on, choose the links one by one and carefully, gather the most relevant ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.