Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Registering/buying limited companies to match domains?

Discussion in 'New Domainers' started by theaffiliate, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theaffiliate

theaffiliate Active Member

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. philiporchard United Kingdom

philiporchard Well-Known Member

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. If you try and buy all the possible combinations that you think are relevant, you could end up spending a mini-fortune!

4. theaffiliate

5. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

I reckon that most people here only ever offer the domain for sale, they don't go further than that.

The Ltd company is more for financial/accounting purposes, it does not confer intellectual property / branding rights which are more important for marketing, that is done by the UK trademark. So, if you were going to do anything, a UK trademark application might be considered, but as said previously, most people here would not do that just to sell the domain.

Rgds

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  6. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

Let someone else buy the company and then come to you for the domain :)

I'm not suggesting this as a 'squat' play.

It amazes me why these agents don't buy domains to go with their shelf companies. When you see some of the company names on offer, and the relevant domains free to register, it makes no sense.

7. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

If you're confident of getting more 5-figure offers, it may be worth purchasing the company to offer as a "super package" if it's only going to cost you 1,500 pounds. Especially if you can identify the target market precisely (is there a simple commonality to all the entities that have made those offers so far?) and can see a route to reach out to that target market through some kind of advertising/marketing campaign.

8. theaffiliate

9. Domainate

Domainate Active Member

Have you considered the possibility of buying the company, getting the necessary trademark(s) you need, and simply building up the domain and operating the business? You're putting what could be a slightly higher valued sale in the forefront of your mind when if you have a domain that good, you could probably utilize it to build a solid revenue earning business for yourself.

10. Blossom

Blossom Well-Known Member

Don't you think your buyers would be in the same position?

11. theaffiliate

12. DomCollect Germany

DomCollect DomCollect Staff

We have sold many thousands of domains and i can honestly say i cannot think of a single example where i could have gained greater interest in the domain because it was attached to a Limited company.

Most enduser buyers are looking to improve their position within the market and not change their company name, they are therefore investing in the business potential behind the domain and being Limited by name will not effect your ranking with the search engines and as such does not add value.

That said, without knowing the industry or domain you just never know and if you can afford to invest and feel that this investment would not be at a loss then what have you got to lose.

Good luck

13. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

What makes you think the potential buyers would want the company, Have any of the previous offers indicated or enquired. Do you think that buyers would be a completely new start up…? Majority of higher priced names/sites tend to be bought buy existing companies, Never heard of anyone not buying a name because the seller doesn't own the LTD has anyone …? If no one ever has what would be the point, I can see the point of trademarks etc but not the company...

14. theaffiliate

• Like Like x 1
  15. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

Depends a lot on what the name is and if you’re selling a product service etc

A few are
    Validity of ownership
    Discourages people from using similar mark
    Automatic right to sue
    Right to statutory damages
    Can make an legal actions easier(cheaper)
    Exclusive nationwide ownership of the mark
    Increases the likelihood of the successful filing of a dispute for an infringing Internet domain name etc
    Marketing prestige
    Obtaining registration in foreign countries
    Help with applications for new tld's cctlds etc
    Decreases the likelihood of another party claiming the name
    Help from Customs against importers of counterfeit goods etc.

Not saying you have to have it just that it would be better to spend money on that than a Ltd

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  16. WaftyCrank United Kingdom

WaftyCrank Active Member

Why not just set up a new LTD company in the following style:

"Domain.co.uk Ltd" rather than buying "Domain Ltd"?

It would be much cheaper and less hassle to do it this way round and I personally think fits your domain more appropriately. Had you owned the .com and .co.uk (the set) and want to start trading then maybe buy the LTD company name. However if it is just the .co.uk then just setup a new LTD with the extension included in the name.

17. DomCollect Germany

DomCollect DomCollect Staff

Effort and investment against return and value.

Your scenario:

Little effort for small investment unlikely return with no guaranteed value

It is a no brainer, companies that buy big value domains already sit in that industry so why would they need another company to run it from.

If you want to add value in the package form you would be a lot better off buying the other extensions, even if they are poor quality, "domain.so , domain.co" etc these would make your package look better to any buyer interested in the domain, they also add a value, admittedly not much but far more then a LTD could.

18. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

you can't
    i believe companies house used to allow years back as you still see companies with name.co.uk ltd

however they stopped that
    also i believe in uk you cannot trademark a word.domain extension

both are allowed in the states

19. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member

When did they stop it?

I know a member here owns a domain.co.uk ltd company. Just checked and it was setup in late 2009.

20. wb

wb Well-Known Member

Can't see any advantages personally unless you wanted to trade through the company, but as you already have one then there may be no point as others have said?

I'm not sure whether this was a rumour or not as a while ago I remember seeing something about this on the forum. The other day though I came across a limited company ending in '.co.uk' which was registered in late November 2010, so I'm pretty sure it's still allowed.

The problem which the original poster may face is that if 'Word Ltd' is taken, then they won't let you register 'Word.co.uk Ltd' as it will be seen as too similar.

Was curious so just did a search and there are quite a lot of domains with extensions which have registered trademarks. Not sure in the benefits though except maybe 'insurance' if the domain ever dropped (surely anyone going to the effort of trademarking a domain wouldn't let this happen though). :?

21. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

im sure i read on the companies house website itself you couldnt reg .tld in title of a company name
    will have a look when get time

same for ipo.gov, sure they say can't reg domain. may be wrong on that though. i know its ok in yank land

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.