Domain Manage

Reliable Bulk Availability Check With OV Req.

Discussion in 'Domain Tools' started by retired_member6, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

As Nominet has recently screwed up the way I look for domains, could anyone possibly suggest a back up application which can bulk check domain availability and return with overture score as well, without going over the 1000 daily limit?

Oh and preferably free...

Cheers
    Lee

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

Also a good form of torture for the fool at nominet who ruins my day would be great for the soul as well.

4. retired member 1

retired member 1 Retired Member

You have 4 options all with their own drawbacks:

DAC (432,000 requests) - No Whois info

Proxy Servers (Potentially Unlimited) - Can be tricky to configure and finding good proxies is a PITA

Reboot Router/DSL connection (Resetting your IP) - Time consuming and slow

Stick with 1000 requests a day - Useless

5. retired_member27

retired_member27 Retired Member

Lee, would it be better for you if I made the script available for sale, so that you can then use it on your own server?

6. admin Spain

admin Administrator Staff Member

Interesting, how much is it?

7. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

APD, I'm not having a go at you but I'd be interested, PM if you want.

I don't understand nominet, you'd think they'd be at the forefront of allowing greater competition but this just forces people to sign up to the DAC and be a part of that. If they've no need to profit, why do they make it less competitive? I really do dislike people who make my life more difficult, there's just no need for them in this world. :rolleyes:

8. paul

paul Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  9. Jay Daley New Zealand

Jay Daley Active Member

That would be me then.

So let me get this right. You are expecting us to provide a high speed server that you can use in high volumes without paying a penny to do so?

The DAC is available to members for the enormous sum of £25. If we really were just concerned with making a profit do you really think we would charge so little?

10. Jay Daley New Zealand

Jay Daley Active Member

I would love to know why you think that no address data is a drawback? The primary reason we find that people want to harvest large sets of address data is for invoicing scams, which is why it is not on the DAC. However when we get reasonable requests to extend the output (such as adding the tag) then we do respond.

Some other downsides as well:
    - if they use whois2 then we know the originating IP address and so nothing is gained.
    - if they use whois then they are limited to 1,000 and soon get blocked. The operators generally take action to prevent them being abused.

Some people use a large IP address allocation, even as much as a whole /19, to try and bypass the limits. We do catch them and then block them for a long period of time.

Absolutely, so pay up the measly £25 and use the DAC. I'm still confused as to why so many people don't want to go that way. If you can explain it then please take the time.

11. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Things that are in the WHOIS and aren't in the DAC and why they might be desirable:

Registrant - (i) On the drop, you'll know who got the name if you didn't. However the tag is likely to be good enough in most situations and that is being added to the DAC. (ii) It's useful for monitoring change of ownership for all sorts of reasons. You can who's buying what and who's selling what, or who's moving around what. As you may be aware, companies exist to do exactly this sort of thing.

Address - similar reasoning to (ii) under Registrant.

Last updated - useful for ordering Pre Nominet names, until these have all gone through the pre Nominet project. Also useful for working out when Registrant changes or other updates were made, perhaps also in relation to (ii) under Registrant.

I am aware that the PRSS can be useful for monitoring but it's got a low query limit and there is no API to it.

These were just possible ideas.

12. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

My rant was justified at the time because up until nominet reduced access for people like me and increased the DAC I was quite happy. Until I was reduced to inputting one domain at a time at various sources. As far as I'm concerned DAC access is a means to register and catch top keyword domains or client requests. I simply checked a daily list and it certainly wasn't more than 1000 a day and secondary access suited me fine.

So, what I'll do is discuss buying the script which will enable me to do 1000 checks from my IP address a day. I don't wish to buy DAC access just yet, even though reducing checks is trying to force me to. That's what I mean by competitive. Apologies for the rant, just inputting domains one at a time was probably getting to me. It's not what I was used to doing.

Also I'm not sure what £25 gives me, if I've misunderstood membership and access levels then again I'll apologise for being quick to react and I'll look through Nominet to see what £25 gets me.

13. Jay Daley New Zealand

Jay Daley Active Member

Thank you for an informative reply.

I agree, hence the tag is coming.

These two get into the area of tracking individuals and the related privacy concerns. That's why we don't do this. If you read the PRSS Ts&Cs they are very tight, for example you must be in the EU to use it.

prenoms will not be around long enough to justify this change.

We did originally intend an API but nobody seemed interested. Are you?

Thanks again.

14. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

No problem. :)

Approximately how many .uk domain names are still in the prenom state (i.e. (i) yet to be converted over and currently unsuspended and (ii) yet to be converted over and suspended and potentially waiting deletion)? Do you have a rough idea of when you think the prenom project might be completed?

I'd definitely be more interested in an API for the PRSS than the current web interface (*particularly* if you *only* offered it to me! ;)). I had no idea that an API had ever been considered and only vaguely remember a web interface being mentioned as a replacement for the large text file. AFAIK not much has been posted on the PRSS beta mailing list in a while, although I do remember an announcement of proposed changes to the current beta service a number of months ago.

A problem with the existing web interface - in my experience - is that the CSV export doesn't always work correctly, particularly if the user performs a query, elects to display the results (which can take ages) and then is so excited about finally being able to read through the results therefore forgets to do a CSV export before that option timesout. :p Once the timeout occurs, the user has to waste more quota executing the query again or scrape the on screen web page for the data. If you allow someone to make a query, perhaps allow them to store and rerun the same query for at least 24 hours afterwards so they don't have to create and run it all over again, having it further decrease their quota allowance.

Personally I'd take an API over a web interface and design my own front end.

• Like Like x 1
  15. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

Yes to members, I misread that bit. So there's your £25 + VAT, plus £400 at the start, then another £100 to kick off. So £620 and it would seem a TAG is free and the script will cost. Like I said, I'm not ready for that yet so it's not so measley is it? so I'll wait and moan at the changes.

And I'm not after stuff being free, I just don't like people making my day more difficult which is fair comment.

16. Jay Daley New Zealand

Jay Daley Active Member

Sorry but I don't know and I'm not sure we would give that information out anyway. But I will ask.

17. rob

rob Founding Member

It could be argued that Nominet provides features for members, but for bog standard Joe Bloggs end user who wants a single name all they need is ability to buy a domain (£80 direct from nominet) and 1000 queries on the free whois to decide on one, which ought to cover even the most indecisive person :)

18. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

Exactly. I have to join their club because they've lowered their usefulness to people like me. I can either turn it in or pay £600, that's what they're telling me and at the same time doubling requests for members. Black and white, it isn't £25 it's £600 - let's be open about it.

So if you ever get a DRS claiming you're sitting on the domain or you get called a cybersquatter, kindly inform these people that Nominet positively back the domaining business and the increasing paid membership of that part of their income.

19. rob

rob Founding Member

What would you term yourself?

DAC is the tool to do mass lookups, and to me the cost of that is £25 . Why not lump on the cost of your internet connection, computer , training to use it, the time spent looking up names... its not black and white as the public whois is not there for dropcatchers / domainers to do bulk lookups and datamining :)

Re: DRS; There is a difference between cybersquatting and domain warehousing... squatting I would say is rights infringement and Nominet would not support that. Owning generics and other names would be fine :)

I can see what you are saying ( and that its partially tounge in cheek! ;) ) but basically you have been using a free service from Nominet that they provided out the goodness of their hearts (!)

If I were you I would request a full refund from Nominet.... oh wait ;)

20. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

The cost of it is £600, only is the cost £25 when you front the £600. OK. :D

It's a director's job to play with words and truths, I have to listen to directors involved in football all year round and in various businesses. Cut to the chase, yes I've been using a service that has recently reduced, there's no goodwill, they're a company providing a service and I used it.

I now have to meet that change, a whinge or two and letter writing could see it resolved or their wish to force me on to membership could happen and that is what will most locally occur in the next decade.

21. rob

rob Founding Member

Dont get me going on football... Wrexham fan here :(

You have been using a free service that is still free, just limited quota wise now. I cannot see why there is no goodwill as they have allowed free unlimited access previously - so you have done well out of it so far :)

How is it in Nominets interest to support a high availability whois system for 'customers' who scan many thousands of domains per day regging the odd one and when they do its via the discount rate.

Should my membership fee be subsidising that? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.