Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Renting out sites locally

Discussion in 'Business Discussions' started by golddiggerguy, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. golddiggerguy United Kingdom

golddiggerguy Well-Known Member

Just a heads up on what I've been doing for 3+ years now with Hull domains and trying to make a decent bob out of them.

I have 300+ local domains 250+ of which are Hullxxxxxx.co.uk

Over the period of 3 years I have set more or less 75% of them up with WordPress or a 1 pager just to get indexed and have added adsense to get quick easy reveneue. This is around mid £xxx pm

Over that period I have seen or know of people that have been Google slapped using adsense, PPC adwords and has destroyed some peoples plans or businesses.

DONT rely on Google (or affiliates) for revenue 100% as it can be taken away or stopped with no warning or reason.

This made me wake up and I pushed/aimed for the sites to be rented out to real local business that can deliver THAT service or product. They would pay each month really for the generated leads from the site. This I've been told by many out weighs ANY leaflet drop, newspaper advert, website banner costs or marketing campaign.

I have quite a few at the stage of passing on leads and have been giving free leads to companies as it's always "Proof in the pudding"

Today is the first drive towards getting dozens converted from Google money to real business leasing set up on Direct Debit.

I'm in telecoms too and so was quite easy to set a unique number up to forward to them (tracking) and are just in the process of adding their details to it in the form of maps, products, opening times etc.

So £75 + VAT pm for contract of 12 months is a fab start today and many more to come. The business next door to them who are in the tyre fitting game can't wait to get their leads from us, as we have a site all ready WITH calls already coming in daily.

Thoughts people?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Brassneck United Kingdom

Brassneck Well-Known Member

Excellent concept - and I am guessing that once you are properly up and running you might well be in the position of having businesses competing to pay for the same domain.

Any chance of seeing an example?

Best of luck with it.

Stephen.

4. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

10 clients and that's a very decent part-time income.

30 clients and that's above the UK national average wage.

100 clients and you're laughing all the way to the bank in the back seat of your chauffeur-driven car.

Good luck with it!

5. GreyWing

GreyWing Well-Known Member

Great business idea mate, I have a few so will be keeping an eye on your method.

Did you manage to get accepted for Direct Debit? That's a pretty hard thing to do or do you mean they pay via standing order?

Cheers
    GW

6. golddiggerguy United Kingdom

This is actually about 20% of a bigger picture I'm building up but they all interconnect.

HullTyres.co.uk is an example one that does get daily calls for quotes and yes I have already been asked "Whats stopping someone else wanting to rent it?" Answer "just renew the contract for a further 12 months with a reviewed increase" ;)

Yes 100 at £75+VAT is a very nice regular income that would increase, expand year on year and yes it would be a this time next year Rodney moment.

Easily expanded to, for example TOWN-Security.co.uk can expand to more niche by going for TOWN-alarms.co.uk TOWN-Locksmiths.co.uk etc covering all bases and would be a double no brainer for the current leaser to take on as an extra site as it's already proven and managed.

I have many projects on the go and have actually buddied up with a big local company who has staff that can assist with things in place that make my life easier (for a cut)

i.e. DD setup, invoicing, office facilities, boardroom/ meeting rooms, developers, call staff, contacts.............. etc

I'm not getting the full £75 +VAT but it has helped been fronted and optimised with a large local company. Not saying it wasn't possible without (just a lot less hassle with)

7. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Could you set up your own "geo directory" kind of site for this to work then?
    so:

wolverhamptonCompanies.co.uk

encompassing multiple services/service providers (plumbing, builders, carpenters, removals, etc), and rent out the leads/page per month?

Or would it have to be something as direct as:

wolverhamptonPlumbers.co.uk

create the minisite/page, rank it, approach plumbing companies in wolverhampton and offer x amount of leads on a free trial with the view to sign up on a contract?

And do you stick adsense on the site/page aswell?

8. golddiggerguy United Kingdom

You could set a umbrella site up, I have HullLocal.co.uk but haven't used it with the mini sites yet.

The idea is to get as niche as possible to lap up all searches and get it so it would seem daft for peopl NOT to call the number on the site.

I wouldn't put adsense on as well as people paying to advertise as that will just upset them.

Create a mini site Say BristolFencing.co.uk (FTR) unique content with the usual pages and a news / product page. A few back links, as it doesn't take much to start getting ranked for the right phrases mention local companies maybe in the footer and let it stew.

Place a number on the site that can be answered whenever, all day 8am - 8pm and then make contact with local firm, get a contact name (pref owner) explain the model and they have 3-4 weeks of free leads and it will be £75pm to keep that flow going.

Simples ;)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.